General Category > ABS related issues

Fault code "0x480687" - what does it mean? Missing clear text information

(1/3) > >>

e-raser:
I have plenty of 0x480687 in my ABS controller fault storage. I have no idea what they mean as there never was a warning light or malfunction of the ABS system.

There is NO plain text for this fault code. Log data (German):

Fehlercodes : 1
| 0x480687 : Unbekannt
Derzeit aktiv : NEIN
Motorwarnleuchte (MIL) : NEIN
Häufigkeit : 21
Verlernzähler : 35
..Fehlercodehistorie : ....Datensatznummer : 0
....Kilometerzähler : XXXX.0 km
....Zeit (abs.) : 6081602
....Steuergerätestatus : Normal
....Sub-Tabelle : 33
....Batteriespannung : 12.49 V
....Geschwindigkeit : 0.0 km/h
....Bremstatus : 0
....Sub-Tabelle : 208
....Interner fehler id : 0
....Datensatznummer : 1
....Kilometerzähler : XXXXX.0 km
....Zeit (abs.) : 11717
....Steuergerätestatus : Normal
....Sub-Tabelle : 33
....Batteriespannung : 12.56 V
....Geschwindigkeit : 0.0 km/h
....Bremstatus : 0
....Sub-Tabelle : 208
....Interner fehler id : 0

So this fault code was caught 21 times, quite a lot. Don´t know yet what the "unlearning counter" (35) stands for. And as time (absolute) is not formatted in a human readable way, I have absolutely no idea what this error is about. Do "sub table" (33, 208) bring some light on this?

How to proceed - will there be plaintext? My controller is on the function chart by the way (https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function_charts/xabs_func_chart).

I miss a central database to cross-check all those fault codes. That´s something I´m used to when using VCDS e. g., now with GS-911 I know there is a error but I have no idea what it means and when it was written.

Ruan:
Hi There

With some of the newer fault codes, some still needs to be added to our lookups on the GS-911. Regarding a sort of central database for fault codes, one of our users suggested this website which I personally use from time to time if I can't get info on the fault code yet:
https://bmwfault.codes/

Regarding your fault specifically, please have a look at the fault description below for the XABS controller:
ABS detects implausible signal of the angular rate sensor or no signal of the angular rate sensor.
The car acceleration in longitudinal direction calculated by the ABS based on the wheel circumferential velocity does not match the measured car acceleration of the angular rate sensor.

For a service plan, it's listed as:
Check rear end of motorcycle and angular rate sensor for secure screw fastening. Check for correct installation of the angular rate sensor.Inspect rear end of motorcycle for loose parts. Check wires, wiring harness and plug connections to rotation rate sensor. Check rotation rate sensor.

Delete fault memory and check for repeated entry, if the fault is entered again then replace the angular rate sensor.

Kind regards
Ruan

e-raser:
Well https://bmwfault.codes only gives "Error! Invalid code entered. Codes must start with "P" or be a valid hex number." for that fault code (0x480687).

I want to share with you what my dealer said when having the bike there for service some days ago:
They checked with their BMW diagnostic device after I explicitly asked them for doing so (I showed em the logs of GS-911 before). And it found: nothing.

The head of service of that dealer told me that for important faults always the ABS lamp needs to flash (which it didn´t and doesn´t, I would see that especially because that fault is written quite often).
And he said it´s likely that
a) either this fault code is for another bike and maybe the diagnostics system mapped the wrong model to it or
b) the diagnostics system "isn´t that professional".

As I didn´t want to start a general discussion regarding aftermarket diagnostics systems I accepted it for the moment. I find GS-911 VERY professional, basically, by the way. And point a) also is a dead end because that fault code simply is in the ABS controller. What he said could be true for a full text explanation based on this fault code, but a mix-up with another BMW model is just impossible in my opinion.

Sad summary:
- BMW: no fault codes.
- GS-911: Fault code which no one can explain.

What to do next?

WayneC:
The info from the autoscan is as Hexcode would know

0x480687 :  Unbekannt
Derzeit aktiv : NEIN

Translated is

0x480687 :  Unknown
Currently active: NO

What the Dealer rep may not know is his Dealer system is set up to not display unknown & invalid faults which do occur often with BMW ECU's

schuppi:
Hello

Fault code is documented well:

480687    ABS: Angular rate sensor    x_abs    Antilock braking system    View
480687    ABS: Undervoltage                x_abs9m  Antilock braking system    View
480687    ABS: Undervoltage                x_absvi    Antilock braking system    View

Discriptions will be found here >>  https://bmwfault.codes

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version