Author Topic: Fault code "0x480687" - what does it mean? Missing clear text information  (Read 6003 times)

e-raser

I have plenty of 0x480687 in my ABS controller fault storage. I have no idea what they mean as there never was a warning light or malfunction of the ABS system.

There is NO plain text for this fault code. Log data (German):

Fehlercodes : 1
| 0x480687 : Unbekannt
Derzeit aktiv : NEIN
Motorwarnleuchte (MIL) : NEIN
Häufigkeit : 21
Verlernzähler : 35
..Fehlercodehistorie : ....Datensatznummer : 0
....Kilometerzähler : XXXX.0 km
....Zeit (abs.) : 6081602
....Steuergerätestatus : Normal
....Sub-Tabelle : 33
....Batteriespannung : 12.49 V
....Geschwindigkeit : 0.0 km/h
....Bremstatus : 0
....Sub-Tabelle : 208
....Interner fehler id : 0
....Datensatznummer : 1
....Kilometerzähler : XXXXX.0 km
....Zeit (abs.) : 11717
....Steuergerätestatus : Normal
....Sub-Tabelle : 33
....Batteriespannung : 12.56 V
....Geschwindigkeit : 0.0 km/h
....Bremstatus : 0
....Sub-Tabelle : 208
....Interner fehler id : 0

So this fault code was caught 21 times, quite a lot. Don´t know yet what the "unlearning counter" (35) stands for. And as time (absolute) is not formatted in a human readable way, I have absolutely no idea what this error is about. Do "sub table" (33, 208) bring some light on this?

How to proceed - will there be plaintext? My controller is on the function chart by the way (https://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function_charts/xabs_func_chart).

I miss a central database to cross-check all those fault codes. That´s something I´m used to when using VCDS e. g., now with GS-911 I know there is a error but I have no idea what it means and when it was written.

Ruan

• Administrator
Hi There

With some of the newer fault codes, some still needs to be added to our lookups on the GS-911. Regarding a sort of central database for fault codes, one of our users suggested this website which I personally use from time to time if I can't get info on the fault code yet:
https://bmwfault.codes/

Regarding your fault specifically, please have a look at the fault description below for the XABS controller:
ABS detects implausible signal of the angular rate sensor or no signal of the angular rate sensor.
The car acceleration in longitudinal direction calculated by the ABS based on the wheel circumferential velocity does not match the measured car acceleration of the angular rate sensor.

For a service plan, it's listed as:
Check rear end of motorcycle and angular rate sensor for secure screw fastening. Check for correct installation of the angular rate sensor.Inspect rear end of motorcycle for loose parts. Check wires, wiring harness and plug connections to rotation rate sensor. Check rotation rate sensor.

Delete fault memory and check for repeated entry, if the fault is entered again then replace the angular rate sensor.

Kind regards
Ruan

e-raser

Well https://bmwfault.codes only gives "Error! Invalid code entered. Codes must start with "P" or be a valid hex number." for that fault code (0x480687).

I want to share with you what my dealer said when having the bike there for service some days ago:
They checked with their BMW diagnostic device after I explicitly asked them for doing so (I showed em the logs of GS-911 before). And it found: nothing.

The head of service of that dealer told me that for important faults always the ABS lamp needs to flash (which it didn´t and doesn´t, I would see that especially because that fault is written quite often).
And he said it´s likely that
a) either this fault code is for another bike and maybe the diagnostics system mapped the wrong model to it or
b) the diagnostics system "isn´t that professional".

As I didn´t want to start a general discussion regarding aftermarket diagnostics systems I accepted it for the moment. I find GS-911 VERY professional, basically, by the way. And point a) also is a dead end because that fault code simply is in the ABS controller. What he said could be true for a full text explanation based on this fault code, but a mix-up with another BMW model is just impossible in my opinion.

Sad summary:
- BMW: no fault codes.
- GS-911: Fault code which no one can explain.

What to do next?

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 12:26:51 AM by e-raser »

WayneC

• Beta testers
The info from the autoscan is as Hexcode would know

0x480687 :  Unbekannt
Derzeit aktiv : NEIN

Translated is

0x480687 :  Unknown
Currently active: NO

What the Dealer rep may not know is his Dealer system is set up to not display unknown & invalid faults which do occur often with BMW ECU's
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 05:25:15 AM by WayneC »

schuppi

Hello

Fault code is documented well:

480687    ABS: Angular rate sensor    x_abs    Antilock braking system    View
480687    ABS: Undervoltage                x_abs9m  Antilock braking system    View
480687    ABS: Undervoltage                x_absvi    Antilock braking system    View

Discriptions will be found here >>  https://bmwfault.codes
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

botus

• Beta testers
cool site - seem to have a bit more info on that code now

480687 Brake pedal travel sensor: Open circuit on ground line dsc_01 Dynamic stability control
Check for break at ground connection of brake pedal travel sensor according to wiring diagram.
Visually inspect connector contacts.

Other possible fault causes:
- Faulty brake pedal travel sensor
- Faulty DSC control unit

It is necessary to perform the test module in order to determine the exact cause.

as for entertaining a conversation with a dealer about a fault on your bike and or how diagnostics work is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard...  there are only three out comes in that time wasting scenario

a) its a design feature
b) you're are too stupid to know better than us or to understand anything (but my training means I'm not letting on that's what I'm thinking)
c) this one's brighter than the normal retards, no idea if he's right (where's the check list of how to combat my ignorance with confusing drivel / refer them to the workshop)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:07:19 PM by botus »

e-raser

Re: Fault code "0x480687" - what does it mean? Missing clear text information
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 10:59:44 AM »
Not sure how to proceed with that new information. Everything is working but it feels a bit strange with lots of those error messages.

botus

• Beta testers
Re: Fault code "0x480687" - what does it mean? Missing clear text information
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 12:25:03 PM »
the world of canbus and modern software writing can produce unwanted results

a bad connection may send bad info around the systems and or terrible software does stuff it shouldn't - BMW have lots of software updates they can flash to bikes  - it's continuous journey, with up to three normal releases a year

there's a few USA recalls that might be related to your issue for 2020 model year bikes

SIB 34 03 20 to remove a bolt on the mounting bracket they've fitted to cause premature failure of the ABS module for European S1000XRs - it causes vibration issues on the module
SIB 61 02 20 to stop the engine loom to the instrument cluster chaffing and shorting out on the frame (which i expect might put additional data on the canbus) . S1000RR and S1000XR

expect a non USA BMW dealership to be in total ignorance and not believe it when you mention it - the aim of German manufacturers is to treat you with utter disdain and steal your money - resolving under warranty - isn't as profitable as getting you to pay after its run out

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 12:29:06 PM by botus »

e-raser

I'm going to confront the dealer with it once again shortly.

If it's just a software bug - fine. Do nothing, try a software update or whatever.

In any case I want them to document it in the system. I reported this to them/BMW already last year. If they decide/continue to do nothing, they can't blame me just in case of future damages.

e-raser

So I brought a printout of the error (GS-911) with me and here's what the dealer said during servicing the bike:

Before the service:
- "There are certain errors which are logged by BMW, but are not critical. Those are often not even reported/shown in our own testers (hidden)."

After the service:
  • "There was no error stored/visible." That's also what I got texted on my service report.
  • "It could also be that it comes when working the ABS in the control range. The display of the bike does not necessarily have to light up, especially when I brake at the rear wheel in the control range."
That second sentence might be true, as I tested it on the way back home from service (I managed to got the ABS working at least on the rear tire, for the front I'm not totally sure) and noted the kilometres.Checked the errors with GS-911 afterwards: no new error logged (no new timestamp), so the error seems to not be related to actual ABS action - and there was no ABS lamp lightning up during testing.

What makes me sad is the first sentence and what I got written in my service report: "No ABS failure stored.". That's simply not true!
The error is still there. It was right before the service (checked with GS-911) and still right after the service (checked again with GS-911). Note: they only reset the service counter during service, did not delete any errors.

So is this really possible? Our "normal" GS-911 devices show errors and the original BMW dealer testers do not? That's
  • a) either unbelievable or
  • b) really the case that this kind of error doesn't bother BMW so they even hide them for their own garages/dealers.

I don't know what to make out of that. Is it true or does my dealer not care?Anyway, I feel some kind of unsatisfied and tense with the knowledge the bike has this error (even there's no practical impact - so far - on the road).

Maybe I should write an eMail to BMW Munich and ask them if some kind of errors really are hidden from the dealers testers.

Thoughts welcome.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Your Dealer has confirmed for you what I posted previously

The "Dealer system is set up to not display unknown & invalid faults which do occur often with BMW ECU's"

It is not either of the points as you posted

"So is this really possible? Our "normal" GS-911 devices show errors and the original BMW dealer testers do not? That's

a) either unbelievable or
    b) really the case that this kind of error doesn't bother BMW so they even hide them for their own garages/dealers."

The ECU's are firmware devices & there can be errors/bugs which generate unknown errors, one which comes to mind is where an ECU is used on multiple models & each model has different peripherals or dash assemblies so a routine in the ECU generates an error when no response is received from a non existent peripheral device

More importantly is whether the Dealer checked for updates on all the ECU's in the bike & updated them, you think not but what is the iLevel from the 2021 Autoscan & the iLevel now after the service ?, I would not be pleased if a Dealer failed to check/update firmware in a service, there may well be a firmware update which corrects an unknown error on your model
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 03:41:32 AM by WayneC »

e-raser

I was specifically asking for any updates available. „No updates“ was the answer.

OK so taking your thoughts into account makes me currently tend to believe it’s not a real issue.

The integration level is unchanged. Compared my earliest GS-911 Auto-Scan snapshot with my current one. Same number. There never was an update after it left the Berlin factory. Last year of that series.

WayneC

• Beta testers
I was specifically asking for any updates available. „No updates“ was the answer.

OK so taking your thoughts into account makes me currently tend to believe it’s not a real issue.

The integration level is unchanged. Compared my earliest GS-911 Auto-Scan snapshot with my current one. Same number. There never was an update after it left the Berlin factory. Last year of that series.

Unless I missed it, you have not stated what model/year you have so we cant check what is the current iLevel is for the bike