Author Topic: Problem, Connecting via WiFi  (Read 1857 times)

mike d

Problem, Connecting via WiFi
« on: April 29, 2023, 11:08:38 AM »

The following is a email from a guy asking me for help. He is in the UK trying to use a GS-911 in WiFi mode.

As mentioned, initial D2D connectivity was confirmed and the motorcycle data showed as expected on the scan.

I then tried to change the D2D connection, to make the GS-911 the Infrastructure.

https://webmail.names.co.uk/doWSbdFLQwgRtLTj/?_task=mail&_action=get&_mbox=INBOX&_uid=17703&_part=2&_embed=1&_mimeclass=image

However, I drew a blank with my iPhone using the App, so decided I would try the iPad.

I subsequently downloaded the GS-911 WiFi Launcher App from Apple and re-initiated the connection.
The attached movie file shows the IP address, the progress wheel (top-right screen) and the message “HEX Web frontend loading….”. The top left shows the iPad connected to GS-911wifi and date/time.
GS-911 Connectivity.mp4  (11MB download)
After ten minutes or so, I ended the attempt. (It should have either connected or downloaded PDQ as I’m on FTTP fibre broadband.)
The motorcycle was about six-metres from the router within range and strong wifi signal.

By elimination, I have ruled-out the following:
  • No issues with the motorcycle plug all GS-911 lights are showing as expected;
    No issues with GS-911 interrogating the m/c – all data feeding through;
    No issues with mobile phone (iPhone 11 iOS 16.4.1) – data feed receiving via D2D transfer;
    No issue with iPad, as above iPhone logic;
GS-911 communicating with home router, indicator light showing as expected and there was no packet data loss;
iPad & iPhone communicating with home router as other URLs working OK.

I am drawn to conclude there is some glitch either in the App, or the HEX site server, and comms cannot be established?

Would it be worth passing this on to the guys at HEX for comment?

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

mike d

Re: Problem, Connecting via WiFi
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2023, 10:58:00 AM »
Well I received the following update:

Update, as follows:

I re-tried connecting this morning, and noticed the GS-911 connected immediately to Infrastructure mode.

Notable, the vehicle ignition was switched on, but the Kill Switch OFF.

Connection to the HEX server failed to make. 

I then switched the Kill Switch to ON and re-initiated the connection procedure – successfully.

This was the only difference between the first failed attempts (Friday evening) and a successful connection today. 

I do know the Instructions PDF mentions having the Kill Switch ON during the connection process but am surprised that the sequence of its switching would be critical?

So it all seems to be good now, case closed.

Mike

Ruan

• Administrator
Re: Problem, Connecting via WiFi
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 03:49:08 PM »
Hi Mike

Reading through the details, I'm going to lean towards the network he was connecting to. The kill switch being in the kill position has nothing to do with the server authentication, hence why guys can set the GS-911 up using a USB cable for power, and not connecting to a bike.

With that in mind, it might be one of the following:
* The distance between the GS-911 and router is too large and experienced interference on the previous occasion he attempted to connect, said interference was not present on the 2nd attempt. Even if your mobile phone or laptop displays good signal strength, the GS-911 is not equipped with such a strong receiver.

* Staying in a dense area where many WiFi routers are broadcasting could conflict at the time he was attempting to connect, altering the router's channel to a different one will avoid this frustration at a later stage. Our compatible channels are 1-11, and most routers assign to either 6 or 11 by default, which could cause broadcasting interference.

* Throttling experienced from his ISP could also be responsible, although unlikely, we've had clients that experience problems at a certain time of day (being peak hour), while operating flawlessly at a later stage.

Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear he is up and running, feel free to let us know if you have any troubles here or via email on support@hexgs911.com.

Another thing I would suggest is setting up a mobile phone's hotspot to allow service functionality anywhere there is a decent cell reception.

Kind regards
Ruan