General Category > ABS related issues

ABS light

(1/2) > >>

Abitabilo:
I have a 2013 R1200gs. The motorcycle has 36,000 miles on it. I purchased the 911 tool shortly after I purchased the motorcycle. I recently put new brake pads on performed a complete brake bleed swing the 911 bleed/flush. I also installed the speed bleeder fittings to perform this single-handedly. Rode the motorcycle and everything was perfect. Then we went on a trip for 10 days. Halfway through the trip the ABS light came on and did not turn off. I thought it might just be the light so I stomped on the rear brakes and the wheel did lock up therefore the ABS system was not operating. When I got back home from the trip I plugged in the GS911 tool and no error or fault codes appeared. I checked to see if it was a bad wheel sensor. With a motorcycle on the center stand I spun the back tire and then the front tire. The speed indicator on the live values showed the speed. I am out of ideas. Thanks Frustrated😡

Alexm1:
I have not worked on your model bike but on the older models this was often caused by the brake fluid being too low. Check all your fluid levels and you may find the problem disappears.

Abitabilo:
I check the fluid and they are both perfect. It did not fix the problem

Jughead:
Has this issue been resolved?

Which 2013 model do you have?  Aircooled or Liquid Cooled?

botus:
Normal ABS2 failure mode. 

Give the pump a whack with a bit of wood should go another 6 months before the brush dust causes them to stick again.  Many people retrofit the brush pack from a ford fiesta as a longer term fix.
Plenty of DIY video's on youtube.  Or multiple repair places offering guaranteed for life fix for 15% of BMWs replacement cost

ONLY interesting point but I don't believe them as it can't cause the brush fault.  BMW dealer said don't push back the brake pistons in to the master cyl, always release the bleed nipple.  But it would be the perfect "make you think they care  / make you think it didn't fail because they actually designed it to die on purpose".

After all the 2 year brake fluid change is utter rubbish, plenty of cars and bikes on 20 year old fluid makes zero difference.  They die because two deliberate engineered at birth defects, cause it... always did and still do.  Dare I suggest the two year red herring allows them to "electronically encourage" a failure mode as you haven't given them a wad of needless cash recently (so we'll make sure you do).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version