Author Topic: 2007 R1200 GS Cylinder 1 temperature starts and remains at 300 C  (Read 6362 times)

Skim

2007 R1200 GS Cylinder 1 temperature starts and remains at 300 C
« on: November 09, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
Met up with a 2007 R1200GS a few months ago standing by roadside. The owner had a set of throttle cables made up by a company that makes up all sorts of cables… as per sample.  The right hand throttle cable’s outer was so long that it prevented the right hand throttle body butterfly valve from closing at idle. It must have been approx 30% open when against the stop. Cut the outer until the throttle valve closed. Did not sync the TB’s as it was a roadside breakdown.

Bike came in now with reports of misbehaviour i.t.o. ‘flat spot when cold’, ‘poor performance’ and ‘high fuel consumption’.

Ran and recorded data in CSV file. Worked through data and only abnormality I see is the following…

Cylinder head 1, the cylinder head temperature is at 300 degrees C   on cold start and remains there throughout the run. When engine speed is taken up  to 1200 rpm or higher, Lambda sensor 1 voltage remains high (rich mixture?) without fluctuating.

Cylinder head 2 seems ok in all respects. Temp starts off at 43 degrees C and rises in parallel with the engine temp reading, although approx 20 degrees C lower, which makes sense to me.

Is my assumption that it is caused by either a failed temperature sensor unit, or more likely a short of the sensor unit’s wiring to earth correct? Also that the recorded high temperature causes the high and steady Lambda sensor 1’s voltage?

All temperature readings (Cylinder 1  and 2 and Engine) was scaled up by factor of 10. Lambda sensor Voltage scaled up by factor of 100,000.

Sitting on the bike, which is cylinder 1? Left or right?

Any suggestions, assistance welcome please.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: 2007 R1200 GS Cylinder 1 temperature starts and remains at 300 C
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 03:10:57 PM »
Sitting on the bike, left is cylinder 1, right is 2.

I would be really interested to hear how, with cables that far out to have 1 butterfly 30% open, this got to be a "roadside breakdown".  It must have been nigh on impossible to ride the bike for any distance, let alone trying to start it.  I would not expect anything other than poor performance and high fuel consumption.

Be that as it may, with a temp of 300° on a cold motor, I would say that the temp sensor is either faulty or unplugged.

I would for starters replace the throttle cables (all 3 of them) with OEM cables, not made up cables.  Then sync throttle bodies and take readings again.

German Larrain (Chile)

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
Based on my information cylinder 1 is the one at the right, number 2 left.

Skim

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »

Thanks Guy. Will do. What's your opinion on the Lambda sensor's steady high voltage when engine is revved? Is this likely to be caused by the faulty cylinder 1 high temperature sent to the ECU or TB in need of sync'íng?

The roadside repair... the rider was on his way to a friend that was going to help but eventually just stopped.

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 06:54:50 AM »

The way to confirm it is to just unplug the injector or the IBV.  Then do an Autoscan.  It will then tell you which cylinder the injector IBV has been unplugged from.

Thanks Guy. Will do. What's your opinion on the Lambda sensor's steady high voltage when engine is revved? Is this likely to be caused by the faulty cylinder 1 high temperature sent to the ECU or TB in need of sync'íng?

I would make sure the cables are set up correctly and the throttle bodies sync'ed correctly first.  It is no use fighting an unknown.  It could be that the lambda or temp sensors are reacting to the way the mechanical parts are set up.

Skim

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 08:23:39 AM »

The way to confirm it is to just unplug the injector or the IBV.  Then do an Autoscan.  It will then tell you which cylinder the injector IBV has been unplugged from.

I would make sure the cables are set up correctly and the throttle bodies sync'ed correctly first.  It is no use fighting an unknown.  It could be that the lambda or temp sensors are reacting to the way the mechanical parts are set up.

Thank you again. Makes sense. Will get stuck in today.