Author Topic: K1200S 2006 Fuel Pump Fault Code  (Read 3706 times)

mike d

K1200S 2006 Fuel Pump Fault Code
« on: August 16, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »
Hi All,

I've had a call from a club member with 2006 K1200S (30,000 miles) which is having problems:

Hi wrote:

First of all, the fuel gauge showed over a quarter of a tank. Bike stopped, turned over but wouldn't start.
I wasn't to far from home, so pushed the bike home.
Checked and found tank empty.
Put 5ltr petrol in and started and ran ok.
Next time I used the bike was 2 days later. Filled the tank right up and after going about 20 miles, the bike cut out when it went to idle.
Restarted after about 5 seconds of turning over, lots of white smoke out of the exhaust for a few seconds after restarting.
Then started to sound like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Lack of power.

I intend to give it a service, fit new plugs and check out fuel filters, but as you suggested, put the GS-911 diagnostic tool on first.

He connected a GS-911 running the latest software and performed an auto scan (he's not very computer savvy, so I talked him through it).

The only fault shown was:

Electric Fuel Pump System Faulty  (he thinks it was)

Fault code 10168

Can anyone advise if there is any further detail for this fault?

A realtime values check has not yet been done.

Apart from the fuel pump strainer, is there a replaceable fuel filter on this model (I can't see one in the reprom).

Does this model utilise a fuel pump controller like on the R1200s which due to their location would suffer from water ingress?

As ever, thanks in advance.

Regards

Mike

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: K1200S 2006 Fuel Pump Fault Code
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 06:47:16 AM »
Hi Mike

Yes, the K1200S does have a fuel pump controller. (Part No:16 14 7 720 776, ("5" in the diagram below))  Water ingress on these bikes is not likely, as the controller is fitted between the tank and the airbox, under all the covers, and is fitted vertically, as opposed to the R series that is fitted horizontally.

Unfortunately the fuel filter itself lives inside the body of the fuel pump, in the area circled in the diagram below, and is not replaceable.  You would need to replace the entire pump.  I have one client that has actually removed the coupling, drilled out the filter, replaced the coupling, and the fitted an external filter from the older K series (K75, K100, Part No: 16 14 2 325 859)

mike d

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:13:41 PM »
Hi Jughead,

Thanks for the reply.

You have confirmed what I thought, that there is no external filter (similar to the R1200). At least the fuel pump controller seems better protected from the elements!

He's not got back to me with any update as yet.

Mike

mike d

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:18:53 PM »
Just to put close on this thread. The fault was a bad stick coil.

His words:

Got the bike running ok now. It was a coil gone.

Strange how that happened after running out of fuel?

After I had the new radiator hose delivered and fitted, I ran the bike, felt the exhaust pipes and No 2 pipe was cold. Removed the rad to swop the coils around ( 1 to 2 and vice versa) to make sure the fault went with the coil.

Didn't refit the rad to test as I only ran it for less than a minute and sure enough, No 1 exhaust pipe was cold.

Bought a new coil, refitted rad and vac filled, all exhaust pipes hot.

Then changed oil, oil filter, re, oiled K & N air filters, and final drive oil.

Thanks for al the responses.

Regards

Mike

Chris.S

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 08:39:48 AM »

Strange how that happened after running out of fuel?

Possibly as the bike ran out of fuel, the air fuel mixture went very lean which would put a high load on the coils.
  Could have been a nail in the coffin of a coil that was on its last legs.
  Just my thoughts.

mike d

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 10:56:11 AM »
Hi Chris,

Quite possibly.

Mike