Author Topic: Update problem  (Read 10967 times)

karlh

Re: Update problem
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »
Can someone advise how to download the desktop app?

Here's the procedure I use, which has never failed me.

DO NOT PLUG THE GS-911 INTO THE USB PORT UNTIL PROMPTED!
1. Download the GS-911 Downloader Utility (GS-911Downloader-1911.2.exe, Windows only).
2. Run the GS-911 Downloader Utility. Drivers will be automatically installed.
3. Connect the GS-911 when prompted.
4. A browser window will open with interface details and download links.
5. Download the GS-911 Installer (GS-911-2004.1.exe).
6. Disconnect the GS-911 from the PC.
7. Run the GS-911 Installer. A shortcut labeled GS-911 will be placed on your desktop.
Karl
2007 R1200ST

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2020, 04:11:59 AM »
Can someone advise how to download the desktop app?  I can give that a shot.  If I need the downloader functioning properly, then I'm SOL on all fronts.

I understand that they have competing priorities.  However, the total lack of a response until their hand was forced doesn't bode well for showing care and concern for their customers.

I did some testing with the latest downloader on a clean Win7 system & could not find any issue, a system I use day to day with the PC App prompted with PC App update available when I opened the App & updated without problems

The procedure posted above by Karth for downloading is good, atygert what is the detail of the PC System you are using ? Win7 or Win10 ?

atygert

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
Chrome Version 83.0.4103.61 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Win 10 1909 (OS build 18363.836).

One thing I have not tried, that WayneC suggested was clearing the browser cache.  The downloader has not worked for me for several weeks, but I didn't cleat the cache first.

atygert

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2020, 10:07:20 PM »
It was worth a shot.  Current theory is that the unit somehow lost my license.  I'm sending it back to Ted Porter, who has graciously offered to resolve the problem.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 04:30:34 AM »
It was worth a shot.  Current theory is that the unit somehow lost my license.  I'm sending it back to Ted Porter, who has graciously offered to resolve the problem.

There is beta firmware for GS911 WiFi under test at the moment with regard to "loss of licence" affecting a very small  No of units

You did not really give detail re the error you had with downloader, only the bit below

"When I press the Continue button on the downloader, I see a message for a few seconds that says it's connecting to the server.  Then it throws an empty error message."

I assume you plugged the GS911 into USB, opened the Downloader, it then found the GS911 & showed licence No on screen ? then the dialogue saying connecting to Server followed by the empty error dialogue box ?

With your Win10 System have you turned off the USB power saving ?, there have been problems with that affecting devices not only GS911

Re your comment on pdf, not surprised pdf out of M$ word fails to compress images M$ & Adobe have been less than friendly for years, you may find using PrintScreen & M$ Paint then saving an image file better for showing errors
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 04:35:25 AM by WayneC »

atygert

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 03:32:14 PM »
I downloaded the latest version of Downlaoder (1911.2?).  I ran the .exe and at completion, received a message that the USB driver (HEX Code GS-911 USB Driver Package (08/06/2017 2.12.28) ) was successfully installed.  The Downlaoder screen appeared, at which point I plugged the GS-911 into a USB port on my laptop, using the USB B to A cable that came with the unit. When I plugged it in, I immediately saw the power light and a short time later, saw the Wi-Fi light, so I have doubts that this is a USB power issue. I then clicked on the continue button.  In the Downlaoder window, a message appeared for a few seconds that it was connecting to the server (I can't recall the exact verbiage and don't currently have the GS-911,) then the message went away and the empty error appeared. 

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
I downloaded the latest version of Downlaoder (1911.2?).  I ran the .exe and at completion, received a message that the USB driver (HEX Code GS-911 USB Driver Package (08/06/2017 2.12.28) ) was successfully installed.  The Downlaoder screen appeared, at which point I plugged the GS-911 into a USB port on my laptop, using the USB B to A cable that came with the unit. When I plugged it in, I immediately saw the power light and a short time later, saw the Wi-Fi light, so I have doubts that this is a USB power issue. I then clicked on the continue button.  In the Downlaoder window, a message appeared for a few seconds that it was connecting to the server (I can't recall the exact verbiage and don't currently have the GS-911,) then the message went away and the empty error appeared.

OK, understood it does sound like the problem the current beta is to resolve & shows the support ticket was acted on, sending the GS911 to Ted Turner is the best approach, he like Hexcode has a very good customer service record

Remember everyone is trying to do the best they can at the moment, Sth Africa has been in lock down but I know how much work is being done so I am sure Ted & Hexcode will resolve the issue & get the GS911 back to you ASAP