Author Topic: GS 911 WiFi Rediculously Frustrating  (Read 6767 times)

nervous

GS 911 WiFi Rediculously Frustrating
« on: January 14, 2020, 02:30:22 AM »
I recently purchased a used GS-911 wifi enthusiast model that has one VIN in use from the previous owner. Like all things of this nature there is a staggering amount of info and I can find the most basic answers to get started.  I have successfully registered the item, I have the wifi utility on a win10 laptop, and the app on an iPhone 7 and iPad air2.  I can connect the phone and iPad wirelessly to the GS911, I can autoscan on both, I was able to email and download those results to from the phone.  I did finally get a prompt to add this bikes VIN to the account, which it appeared to do although there was another time out failure. What I cannot do is reset the service alerts as it seems to 'time out' and I keep getting this message about a kill switch not on run, even when the bike is running. I get that same failure when testing modules after selecting my 'series' R nineT. It does not recognize that as correct even though it's connected to a 2015 R nineT. What to do. Frankly I could care less about the wifi option. I'd be just fine going USB connected to the motorcycle and be able to do what I need. But that's not working because it still needs the internet to function. That fails equally as much. And, what wifi is the GS911 and phone connecting to? My home wifi that I initially connect to, then I get a message I am hijacking another session, proceed through that and then it show as a s gs911 network.  Does the phone/iPad communicate directly with the GS911, my home wifi, or both? What is going on?  What does the little wifi button on the GS911 do and when is that used?

I am sufficiently confused that I am not sure what I am doing except plugging and unplugging things, pressing screen buttons, starting and stopping the bike like a loon in the hope of finding the magic combination.  It will perform an autoscan both running and stopped, key on. Yet other functionalities fail regularly. I am lost and welcome direction and wisdom please.

nervous

Re: GS 911 WiFi Rediculously Frustrating
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:52:50 AM »
Is there a specific hookup sequence to use? i.e. key off, connect usb and computer, key on, running or not running, etc? Or key on, and/or running, then make cable connections?

And, should the service resets be done with the engine running or simply key on? Other code resets, same?

And, FWIW, I did have the older yellow USB only version with my last R1200GS and that was plug and play simple.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:29:56 PM by nervous »

Dann

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 03:38:29 AM »
On my 07 RT, I just plug it in the Bike's port and connect it to my Surface Pro Tablet (WIN 10) with the USB cable.
No need for an internet connection, no issue.

nervous

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 05:42:51 AM »
Is this with the wifi version? It seems like the actual scanning is all web based, whether it's wireless with an iPhone or iPad or connected to a PC with a USB cable. . What Windows program are you using without wifi?

Dann

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 04:34:57 PM »
Yes it's the wi-fi (red) version
I use the gs-911 software

mike d

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 05:45:14 PM »
Hi Nervous,

In my opinion, the simplest way of connecting the GS-911 WiFi device to your bike is via a USB cable using the PC program loaded on to a laptop. Try that way first to get all the service functions. Using it in this mode does not require an internet connection.

I assume you have read seen the Hexcode support information:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911wifi/gs-911wifi_info

Mike

nervous

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 12:41:25 AM »
I thought I made some headway with the PC last night as I was missing the on-PC program and only had the wifi program. I hooked up, with USB cable and USB selected but had multiple module and kill switch related communication failure notifications and could still not clear service or maintenance codes. 

My 2015 model is supported by the GS-911 wifi that I own per their chart:

BMW Models that are supported by GS-911blu, GS-911usb Gen 1, GS-911usb Gen 2 and GS-911wifi:

R-Series: R nineT (2014-2016)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 12:49:53 AM by nervous »