Author Topic: iGNITION VOLTAGE  (Read 8206 times)

Scarfey49

iGNITION VOLTAGE
« on: November 18, 2019, 01:06:03 PM »
I can't get my 1150GS twin spark to start.

When I plug the 911 in I see BATTV all the time but IGNV in the bottom of the screen disappears after a few seconds.

I won't go into everything I've done to get this thing to start but some of the things I've done include replacing the ECU twice, the hall effect sensors, relay and diode checks a loom inspection and plugs inspection and wire trace.

In addition I've built a Hall effect sensor tester which shows they are operating.

I couldn't get an 1150 ECU so I acuired an RT and also a 1150GSA ones

I've left the battery off overnight but still no outputs to the coils and the fuel system. The pump cycles initially and after that nothing.

What am I missing. I had to send the club 911 back but I've borrowed a mates so I will have a go at it again next week. Stay tuned

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: iGNITION VOLTAGE
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »
It would be helpful to know firstly when/why it stopped running in the first place, and what was done to it in the interim.

There are a few things that come to mind straight away but will need to have a little more info, like:

Do you have spark?
Do you have compression?
Do the injectors fire?  If so, a mist or a squirt?
Are all the fuses intact?
Are all the relays good?

Scarfey49

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
Ok I turned it off after a ride and it wouldn’t start when I returned

I have
Checked all fuses
Checked all relays
Replaced the Hall Effect Sensors
There is 12 volts to the injectors and the coils but none appear to be being “earthed” by the ECU
Removed the loom for a complete inspection of all wiring and plugs
My Hall effect sensor tester has both LEDs flashing when I rotate the engine.
Replaced the Motronic ECU with an RT one and then a 1150 GSA ( the only ones I can get my hands on)
The GS9111 output test showed up ok
The ECU was visible to the 911 and I had battery and ignition voltage but then it came back that the ECU wasn’t responding (I will repeat these tests tomorrow with another 911 as I had to send the other back) no response required at this stage because my concern is that I’m not understanding the 911 properly. I’ll carry out more detailed testing and report my findings and ask a few relevant questions

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
Ok I turned it off after a ride and it wouldn’t start when I returned

I have
Checked all fuses
Checked all relays
Replaced the Hall Effect Sensors
There is 12 volts to the injectors and the coils but none appear to be being “earthed” by the ECU
Removed the loom for a complete inspection of all wiring and plugs
My Hall effect sensor tester has both LEDs flashing when I rotate the engine.
Replaced the Motronic ECU with an RT one and then a 1150 GSA ( the only ones I can get my hands on)
The GS9111 output test showed up ok
The ECU was visible to the 911 and I had battery and ignition voltage but then it came back that the ECU wasn’t responding (I will repeat these tests tomorrow with another 911 as I had to send the other back) no response required at this stage because my concern is that I’m not understanding the 911 properly. I’ll carry out more detailed testing and report my findings and ask a few relevant questions

OK, so your HEF sensor is working OK.  I would:

1.  Replace the ECU with the original.
2.  Check that you have spark.
3.  Spark OK, go to step 4.
3a.  No spark.  Check power to coil and check coil resistance values to ensure that it is good.
4.  Remove injectors and insure that they are firing a mist of fuel, not a jet/spray.
5.  No fuel from injectors, then check fuel pump and filter. 

Also check for water in the fuel tank.  Often the drain hole alongside the filler spout gets blocked so rainwater etc. makes its way into the tank as it has nowhere else to go.

Scarfey49

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 10:42:14 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply Jughead

That's the problem old mate can't get an original ECU without spending a packet on a bike that I rescued and only cost me $2500.

All of the things you suggest have been checked including a pressure gauge test on the fuel system.

Getting the ECU to fire the injectors and the ignition is the problem along with some confusing information I'm getting from the 911.  I'll test further maybe I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something. I'm a persistent old coot so I'll stick with it

If I could get a wiring diagram for the bike,a 2003 twin spark GS, which included the Pinout for the ECU I would be able to be sure that the two ECU's I bought are the same as the one I took out.  The blokes who sold them to me assure me they were from running bikes.

Getting very close to parting it out if I can't solve the problem.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 07:22:06 AM »
Is your sidestand switch connected?  These bikes will not run without it.  In other words, if it is connected and faulty, the bike will not run.  If you unplug it, the bike will not run.  You need to unplug it and short it out on the harness plug.  I would suggest doing that to eliminate it from the system.  They are prone to failure.

The only diagram I have is for the single spark 1150 unfortunately.  Will browse around and see what I can lay my dirty little paws on.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
Have a look here.  I know it is for an RT, but just ignore the reference to the electric screen and radio.  The remainder is exactly the same.

https://www.mac-pac.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/R1150RT-2-Plug-Elec-Diagram-V1_3.pdf

Scarfey49

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
Looks like the GS911 analyser did the trick. When I replaced the HES I made the cable too thick and the mounting plate wasn't all the way home allowing the pulley to rub on one of the HES negating its magnetic effect. The bike relys on the HES to tell the ECU to turn the fuel pump relay on and also the ignition. So with one not operating no spark or fuel. The problem was when I took the pulley off and tested them using a hacksaw blade the problem disappeared. Haven't started it yet but confident never the less.

WATCH THIS SPACE
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:27:06 PM by Scarfey49 »

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 07:54:12 AM »
Looks like the GS911 analyser did the trick. When I replaced the HES I made the cable too thick and the mounting plate wasn't all the way home allowing the pulley to rub on one of the HES negating its magnetic effect. The bike relys on the HES to tell the ECU to turn the fuel pump relay on and also the ignition. So with one not operating no spark or fuel. The problem was when I took the pulley off and tested them using a hacksaw blade the problem disappeared. Haven't started it yet but confident never the less.

WATCH THIS SPACE

[emoji106]

Scarfey49

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »
Well folks I got it running but only on one cylinder. An injector died. I’m not sure wether I should get an award for incompetence or persistence. Thanks for your help.  New injector on the way.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂