General Category > Engine related issues

Idle actuator R1200RT

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jughead:
The first thing to do would be to clear all the faults and reset the adaptations.  All of them.

Now remove the idle bypass valves on the throttle bodies and check to see whether they are functioning correctly.  They are located here.

Once removed, clean them with some brake or carb cleaner, and check the operation before refitting them.

Here is a clip of how the valve should operate when the ignition is cycled.  At ignition on the valve should retract.  At ignition off the valve should extend.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/C7dJqVwOCsw[/youtube]

Once you are sure that they are operating correctly, refit them and again reset the adaptations.

The bike should fire up and idle without the assistance of the throttle.

If the valves function in any way other than as in the video clip, replace it.  Some of them are sluggish in their movement (some not moving at all) and others have excessive movement to the point where the unit falls apart when cycling the ignition.

Albert:
I did as you described, when I was cycling the ignition three times the idle actuator fell apart. Also the sound did not sound good.
So I think we have found the problem. :)

A few months ago I have bought two secondhand throttlehouses from a 2010 model.
There was one idle actuator included.
I have meassured the tip with a caliper and they are exactly the same. The inside of the actuatorhousing is also the same. The 2010 model fits in the 2009 throttlehouse, I tried and it fits. The 2010 model is much cheaper to buy. €50 less each.
Do you think or know that it is possible to mount the new model?

I tried to attach som pictures and a movie, but it did not work.
How do you do that?

Jughead:

--- Quote from: Albert on March 08, 2019, 12:02:20 AM ---I did as you described, when I was cycling the ignition three times the idle actuator fell apart. Also the noise wasn't sound very well.
So I think we have found the problem. :)

A few months ago I have bought two secondhand throttlehouses from a 2010 model.
There was one idle actuator included.
I have meassured the tip with a caliper and they are exactly the same. The inside of the actuatorhousing is also the same. The 2010 model fits in the 2009 throttlehouse, I tried and it fits. The 2010 model is much cheaper to buy. €50 less each.
Do you think or know that it is possible to mount the new model?

I tried to attach som pictures and a movie, but it did not work.
How do you do that?

--- End quote ---

Hi Albert

Yes, the later idle actuator will work and you can mount it safely.  Just reset the adaptations (or you can just re-calibrate the idle actuators) once you are done fitting it.  Test the new one first as you did before, though.

To attach photos, click on the "Attachments and other options" just below the window where you are typing. 

A dropdown box will appear and you can select your photo from there.  Just remember that there are restrictions on size and the number of photos you can upload per post.

For videos, upload your video to Youtube and publish it.  Then click on the youtube icon above the screen where you are typing ...

and insert the link here to your video that youtube provides.

The line will then look like this

schuppi:
Hello Jughead :)

very good description, thank you.
It can not be explained better 8)

Albert:
Hello Jughead,

Thank you very much for the help! The explanation was very good.

I am gonna order two new actuators. I am in a little doubt which one to order. The 2010 model is only €17 more expensive, not €50 as what I thougt at first.
Do you think there is a difference in the quality? I read on another forum that the 2010 model is Swiss made, and the other one is made in Mexico.

In this video you can see what went wrong.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/K7g4IqwXzPo[/youtube]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version