Author Topic: 07 R1200R Code 24100  (Read 5094 times)

Gone in 60

07 R1200R Code 24100
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:51:48 AM »
Hi all, I've had my '07 R1200R since 2011. Performed brake fluid flush/bleed with the GS911 every two years. Current mileage about 25000.

Recently, I've gotten code 24100, ABS front pressure switch signal implausible. This occurs periodically, and is not consistent. When it does occur, I get a solid ABS light and solid-on brake light right after the dash goes through its diagnostic warm up when the key is turned on.

If I turn the ignition off and back on, the problem will clear and the brakes will perform normally. The problem has not presented itself during a ride or after the bike starts rolling - only when the key is turned on and the dash goes through its warm up sequence.

Thinking that it may possibly be caused by a contaminant in the fluid in the area of the front pressure valves, I've flushed and bled the front brakes three times in the course of a month but this has not helped.

Voltage is strong. 13.09 volts at rest, 14.3 while idling. Battery is fresh.

Anyone have this issue? Also, anyone have it under the same circumstances - periodic, not consistent? Any fix other than replacement of the ABS module?

Thank you!

Gone in 60

Re: 07 R1200R Code 24100
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
Adding to my original post. Dealer quoted over $2600 to replace my ABS module. That's about half the retail value of my motorcycle.
I just picked up a used ABS module with the same part number, from the same year as my '07.

I've read that if a used replacement module has the same part number and is from the same year bike, it should work without having to be programmed by the dealer. However, hedging my bets, I'm thinking of something: Where are the pressure switches located within the ABS module? Are they in the black plastic ECU portion, or are they in the aluminum valve body portion? If they are in the valve body portion, I can feasibly replace the valve body portion of my ABS module with the new one, which should fix my pressure switch error, and keep my original ECU portion, so the bike thinks that it has the original ABS module.

Does anyone know where the pressure switches are located in the ABS module? And, can the ECU and valve body portions of the ABS module be separated as they can be in a regular automotive ABS module?

Also thinking, while I have a little time to work, since my problem is still intermittent, I can disassemble the pump motor on the ABS module I just purchased, to clean up the motor brushes for added durability once it's installed.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 07:26:09 PM by Gone in 60 »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
I am not sure where the actual switches are located.  I assume that they would be in the aluminium part of the pump.

Yes, the 2 parts can be separated and exchanged.  Undo the 4 screws holding the controller in place and slide it off.  As long as you are using the same controller (the original from your bike), there will be no need to pay BMW a visit for reconfiguration.  Even a controller from the same model bike with the same part number but from a different bike will need to be reconfigured before it will work.

Merely cleaning the brushes of the new pump is not going to add any "durability" to the pump.  The only way to resolve the dreaded '07 pump issue is to remove the brushes entirely and replace them with decent quality brushes.

Gone in 60

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:27:54 PM »
Thanks, Jughead, good to know I can separate the module without damaging it. I'll give it a try. Worst that can happen is that it didn't fix my problem, and I have to install the new controller and have it programmed. To your point about the brushes, part of my urgency is that I'm leaving my job on Friday. I currently work for a company that makes automotive electronic components, and have a machine shop at my disposal, so if I can't find better brushes on our shelves I can make something better. Just have to have it done by Friday! :)