Author Topic: Error code 21F9B1 from 2016 GSA  (Read 5017 times)

dygit

Error code 21F9B1 from 2016 GSA
« on: November 02, 2018, 05:07:05 AM »
A week ago, I went to start the bike (2016 GSA) midway thru a long ride. Was not really paying attention as I notmally let the idiot lights cycle try and then start. When I started the bike, the engine management light came on and the engine sounded funny. I twisted the throttle and it seems like it was only rub-bing on one cylinder.

I shut the bike off and then restarted and let the lights cycle thru and then started - engine management light was off and bike was normal.

When I checked with the GS-911WIFI, I got the error: 21F9B1 Throttle valve 2 (left) Initialization
The fault is not present now; this problem occurred once.

Was this a one time event due to starting the bike too quickly or an indicator of something more troublesome? Thanks

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Error code 21F9B1 from 2016 GSA
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
Most likely, when you dont allow initialisation processes to complete before starting you have to expect poor running and fault codes

I saw a classic with a new owner of an older model yesterday, he thought the bike had developed a poor idle fault, I had him turn the ignition off & I demonstrated waiting for initialisation to complete & not touching the throttle during the start & sure enough a nice idle & we both had a chuckle

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
A week ago, I went to start the bike (2016 GSA) midway thru a long ride. Was not really paying attention as I notmally let the idiot lights cycle try and then start. When I started the bike, the engine management light came on and the engine sounded funny. I twisted the throttle and it seems like it was only rub-bing on one cylinder.

I shut the bike off and then restarted and let the lights cycle thru and then started - engine management light was off and bike was normal.

When I checked with the GS-911WIFI, I got the error: 21F9B1 Throttle valve 2 (left) Initialization
The fault is not present now; this problem occurred once.

Was this a one time event due to starting the bike too quickly or an indicator of something more troublesome? Thanks

Hopefully it was just a hasty start-up.  However, I have had a number of LC's with throttle body problems with the same fault code.  Only resolution was to replace the throttle body.

Issue starts at 1:06 in the video below.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/ai_Cw9YY7Uk[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:45:26 AM by Jughead »

dygit

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Thanks for the info. Mine did not have the yellow warning light come on - instead it was the engine management light. Also, the engine rpms did not blip like the one you show. Mine stayed constant at around 2100 rpm and when I rolled the throttle, the RPMs increased but it was obvious there was only one cylinder running.

I am curious - the fault code said throttle valve 2 initialization. Did your fault code also say the same thing?

Lastly, what does it take to change the throttle valve - cost, part nu,bears, etc. if you know...thanks again