Author Topic: Fault code 289 TB adaptation - what is this?  (Read 7946 times)

club_c

Fault code 289 TB adaptation - what is this?
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:36:29 AM »
Hi folks. Continuing to help my friend on his 03 single spark F650GS Dakar. You may recall this had a soggy throttle response and copious amounts of oil in the air box. We’ve sorted that out with a replacement piston and finished reassembly. I went to reset adaptations and it said there was a fault, specifically “289 throttle body adaption (following programming) value range overshot”. I cannot clear this code without it returning. When you start the bike it will run for a moment and then stop. Can anyone shed light on the cause of this fault?  We’re soooo close!!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:10:03 AM by club_c »

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: Fault code 289 TB adaptation - what is this?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 09:08:09 AM »
Hi folks. Continuing to help my friend on his 03 single spark F650GS Dakar. You may recall this had a soggy throttle response and copious amounts of oil in the air box. We’ve sorted that out with a replacement piston and finished reassembly. I went to reset adaptations and it said there was a fault, specifically “289 throttle body adaption (following programming) value range overshot”. I cannot clear this code without it returning. When you start he bike it will run for a moment and then stop. Can anyone shed light on the cause of this fault?  We’re soooo close!!!

Hi CLub_c

Just read your other post.

It makes no difference whether you run the bike up to temp with the GS911 connected or not.  The main thing is to do the adaptation reset, and then start the bike WITHOUT touching anything other than the start button.  DO NOT open the throttle or rev the bike at all during the warm-up process.  Opening the throttle while starting will mess up the adaptation reset.

The error you are getting most likely refers to the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).  Did you remove it at all?  Make sure that the plug is seated correctly and also that the butterfly is closing all the way.

You can also check the idle bypass valve.  That is the black cylindrical part on the side of the throttle body.  If not cleaned they tend to get stuck, especially after all the oil in the airbox, but more about that later.  I would suggest removing it and cleaning it with some carb or brake cleaner.  Then, while it is out you can check whether it is functioning correctly.  With it plugged in (but removed from the throttle body) turn on the ignition while watching how the IBV reacts.  It should extend about a millimeter and then retract about 4mm.  When you turn the ignition off, it should return to it's original position.  It should not just extend and fall apart, which they sometimes do.

Also check that you have the throttle cable in the correct channel on the throttle body.  You have 2, a smaller and a larger channel.  The cable must be in the larger one.

With regard to oil in the airbox.  Very seldom is that the fault of the piston/rings.  That is normally a result of a blown balancer shaft seal on the RHS casing.  The oil is forced past the seal by the crankcase pressure into the RHS engine cover (Flywheel Cover)  The excess oil is then pushed up the breather pipe leading from the front of the cover, up into the airbox. While much of it is consumed by the motor, the vast majority of it remains and accumulates in the airbox. 

Unfortunately the only way to resolve that is a complete strip down and split of the motor as the seal is positioned in the RHS engine casing and is fitted from the inside.  I hope for your sake the the piston has indeed resolved the issue, since it will only be apparent after riding the bike for a while.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 09:16:55 AM by Jughead »

club_c

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 02:09:09 AM »
Jughead for the win!  It was indeed the butterfly in the TB not quite closing, the cable was not quite seated.  Once that was resolved all the adaptions worked and the bike is running well.  It needs a proper road test next, soon.  If you'd seen how the piston ring was pinched in the land you'd agree it's the likely culprit of the overpressurizing of the sump and subsequent oil in the airbox.  The test ride will tell all.  Thanks for your input!

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 02:20:18 PM »
Jughead for the win!  It was indeed the butterfly in the TB not quite closing, the cable was not quite seated.  Once that was resolved all the adaptions worked and the bike is running well.  It needs a proper road test next, soon.  If you'd seen how the piston ring was pinched in the land you'd agree it's the likely culprit of the overpressurizing of the sump and subsequent oil in the airbox.  The test ride will tell all.  Thanks for your input!

[emoji106]