Author Topic: noobie - F650GS and GS-911  (Read 6907 times)

club_c

noobie - F650GS and GS-911
« on: September 18, 2018, 06:55:25 AM »
Hi folks, I had posted this in the "F" section but realized it probably doesn't get much press there.  I've removed it from there and reposted here:

I am currently working on my friend's '03 F650GS Dakar single spark.  We have had the head off and of course that includes all the bits above the head, like the TB.  Upon reassembly and test ride there was a significant "bog" around 3000 rpm.  I put the GS-911 Enthusiast on the bike and reset adaptations - or so I thought.  A second test ride found the "bog" more pronounced.  Reading in this forum I realize I'm not resetting adaptations correctly.  I'd appreciate someone giving me a thorough tutorial.  I know you should initiate this process with the engine cold, ignition on, and not running.  When I click on resetting adaptations the reset process begins.  Now, when I see the alert about running the bike up to temp etc, should I start the bike and let it idle up to operating temperature with the GS-911 connected?  Or disconnect it and then start the bike?  Is there a point when I reconnect it?  I know this can be a powerful tool, I'm just not too sure about how to wield all that power...  Many thanks in advance!

Nicol Carstens

• Beta testers
    • HEX Innovate
Re: noobie - F650GS and GS-911
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Hello Club_C

Thanks for the feedback. I have spent considerable time the last 24 hours looking into the problem reported by Jan related to F650GS adaptation reset. I can confirm from his logs that the tool (hardware and software) is performing as expected. This particular section of code has been stable for more than 10 years, but no harm at looking into it with fresh eyes.

I believe Wayne also performed some testing and failed to find any problem. Wayne is a F650 guru!

But let's get in touch via the Hex support desk. I will PM you.

Thanks again.

Nicol

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: noobie - F650GS and GS-911
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 03:34:28 AM »
Hi folks, I had posted this in the "F" section but realized it probably doesn't get much press there.  I've removed it from there and reposted here:

I am currently working on my friend's '03 F650GS Dakar single spark.  We have had the head off and of course that includes all the bits above the head, like the TB.  Upon reassembly and test ride there was a significant "bog" around 3000 rpm.  I put the GS-911 Enthusiast on the bike and reset adaptations - or so I thought.  A second test ride found the "bog" more pronounced.  Reading in this forum I realize I'm not resetting adaptations correctly.  I'd appreciate someone giving me a thorough tutorial.  I know you should initiate this process with the engine cold, ignition on, and not running.  When I click on resetting adaptations the reset process begins.  Now, when I see the alert about running the bike up to temp etc, should I start the bike and let it idle up to operating temperature with the GS-911 connected?  Or disconnect it and then start the bike?  Is there a point when I reconnect it?  I know this can be a powerful tool, I'm just not too sure about how to wield all that power...  Many thanks in advance!

I saw your post re the rebuild & bogging over at F650.com, yes after issuing the reset then start the bike without using throttle & let it idle until the fan kicks in, that is a standard method of rebuilding adaptions & applies to BMW cars as well, you dont need the GS911 connected during the rebuild process, the important part is not to operate the throttle during the rebuild

Re the bogging I would be looking at the HT lead connections & the plug cap, poor connections & corrosion in the plug cap is a common cause of hesitation around that rpm, I would also cross check that you have the cam timing correct & not a tooth out but that is less likely
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 03:38:06 AM by WayneC »