Author Topic: adaptations reset question euro4 wethead boxer  (Read 10249 times)

GvG

adaptations reset question euro4 wethead boxer
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »
Hi all - new to the forum.

I have a R1200RT LC euro4 and am looking to reset the adaptation values for the:
-throttle twist-grip sensor,
-throttle valve sensor,
-transmission position sensor.

Hopefully this will make my shifting with the quickshifter a bit smoother and less clunky. 

Has anyone does the same thing/reset, and is it wise to do all 3 resets?

And do I just follow the instructions on the GS-911 or are there other procedures that must also be carried out.  I've seen a post that says the bike needs to be left on idle until the fan switches on then off after resetting them. 

And do I have to "relearn"  the quickshifter (shifting 1 to 6 holding each gear 10 seconds) after resetting these adaptation values?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Inspector Gadget

Re: adaptations reset question euro4 wethead boxer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:31:58 PM »
Whilst awaiting somebody to response to your query to the above, please make sure to have a very good relationship with your BMW dealer;
I know from past experiences from my buddies with the same, a software-update (well, actually a couple of them) eventually resolved most of their issues.
But also a hardware-modification for the connecting-rod of the clutch? (not sure if I recall that correctly from memory though)

GvG

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
A hardware-modification for the connecting-rod of the clutch was only for the '13 models, the first wetheads. My clutch is fine and shifting without using the quickshifter is also fine, only when I use the quickshifter I feel it could be a bit smoother if the electronics would coƶperate a bit better together  ;D.

I'm offered to borrow a GS-911 from a friend of mine and therefore going to reset the mentioned adaptation values; if it doesn't improve anything nothing is lost I think so............

Mornay

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 09:22:28 AM »
The instructions for each adaptation reset is displayed on the screen before running the adaptation, so you're made aware of exactly what is required. A quick shifter reset should definitely make a noticeable difference as the voltages for each gear are re-learnt.

GvG

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:27:40 PM »
Ok, but needs the bike to be left on idle until the fan switches on after resetting the adaptations values like the local BMW dealer does?

Mornay

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 02:35:51 PM »
Just to be on the safe side I'd leave it until the fan goes on. This way you'll ensure all values are learnt while engine is at operating temps

GvG

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »
Thanks Mornay. but now a have another "problem";

I tried resetting the values today, but obviously I have a XBMSMP1 controller and not a BMS-X controller (I have a R1200RT LC '18) and therefore cannot reset the adaptation values because it doesn't show on the screen  :(. I only can read and clear fault codes and see realtime values  >:(

Is there going to be an update so I properly can use my GS-911?

Thanks in advance.

Mornay

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 04:29:48 PM »
Ah - when you mentioned euro4 I should have suspected a XBMSMP1 controller.

We are planning on adding this to future revisions via a software update, however no clear release date is available yet...

Mornay

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
You should be able to use the GS-911 to reset your quickshifter though.

GvG

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 05:12:41 PM »
Well, I couldn't found the "reset transmission" button.

I could see the green light on the GS-911 was still flickering/flashing, even with ignition on (engine not running); is that normal or should the green light be steady?
I could still perform a Autoscan and read and clear fault codes  ::)

GvG

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »
Mornay, I found the reset transmission button  ;). Thanks!

GvG

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
Mornay, one thing is not all clear to me; what's actually the right thing to do; resetting the adaptations values when the engine is cold or hot (at operating temperature)?

Particularly these:
- throttle twist-grip sensor,
-throttle valve sensor,
-transmission position sensor.

Thanks in advance!

PS. I made a topic about this question because I think maybe more people want to know

Mornay

• Beta testers
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 08:37:37 AM »
Just out of personal habit I'd always perform the resets when the engine is at operating temperature. As you know the air to fuel ratios differ from when an engine is cold (tend to be more fuel) than when the engine is warm (more lean). So I'd always suggest to perform any throttle type resets when the engine is warm, with the exception of the twistgrip reset, obviously  ;) Thats just a min-max indication where close and WOT (wide open throttle) is on the twistgrip.

TIP. When performing the twistgrip reset, don't place any additional strain when doing the reset. As this causes the 0 and 100% values to be skewed. Open the throttle to the max without effort, then release the twistgrip to its natural close position.

Putting too much strain on the twistgrip causes the values to be incorrect while the bike is idling, so the idle might be at 3 - 4k revs if this is done incorrectly.

GvG

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 07:41:18 PM »
Thanks!