Author Topic: Nuda Dashboard replacement  (Read 13205 times)

Nuda_Jakarta

Nuda Dashboard replacement
« on: September 04, 2017, 02:51:16 AM »
Hi have a Husky Nuda 900R and am looking for some guidance...
The dashboard on mine has leaked, corroded and whilst the bike works fine, one of the buttons has failed entirely so I can't change it out of the rain map, speedo and odometer don't work and the left indicator is permanently on.

There is only one other Nuda in Jakarta and another 6 or 7 in Bali. That is it for Indonesia so support is non-existent.
I have a BMW Motorrad dealer nearby, and I hope they have a GS911 WiFi in their workshop.
Firstly, am I correct in believing this is the only version of the tool that will work on a Nuda?
Secondly, if I turn up at their workshop and install a brand new dashboard, is there an option in the software to have the new dashboard coded to match the bike?
If the answer to two is yes, please can you help me out and give me the route through the menu?

If the workshop does not have the correct tool, then I guess I'll have to buy one which I'd rather not.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Phil

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Nuda Dashboard replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:01:13 AM »
The BMW Dealer would use their BMW Dealer Diags/Programming system to code a replacement dash into the Nuda so they would not use a GS911 for that process it does not do programming. The trick re the Nuda/Terra on the BMW Dealer system is the Dealer should just scan without entering a VIN to start the diags or programming session.

You would have to source a replacement dash which if you bought new from Husky would be preset for your VIN. I am aware of one other Husky BMW  machine, a Terra which had a used and not reprogrammed dash fitted without problems. I am also aware a BMW Dealer in the UK who sold Husky as well back when BMW owned Husky and the Dealer was unable to properly complete a Nuda dash replacement, it worked but was not properly programmed into the machine so ABS indications were not properly operational
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:06:09 AM by WayneC »

Borgia

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 03:50:02 AM »
Over on the Adrider site some searching will yield a thread where inmate Reaver describes that it it possible to transfer a chip from an old kombi to a replacement kombi obviating the need for reprogramming. This is on the F800GS bikes.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Hey BMW: No service manual = no new bike.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
Over on the Adrider site some searching will yield a thread where inmate Reaver describes that it it possible to transfer a chip from an old kombi to a replacement kombi obviating the need for reprogramming. This is on the F800GS bikes.

That is not applicable to the Nuda/TR650 Dash, it would also be a dubious exercise on the F800GS simply to avoid the Dealer programming

Damian23tys

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 08:12:53 AM »
Need help my dash is damaged bike dont start i menage to get new unit bu not from husky no vin coded to unit atm no option to get new one from husky no supply  what next who can help it who can program it

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 08:29:37 AM »
Need help my dash is damaged bike dont start i menage to get new unit bu not from husky no vin coded to unit atm no option to get new one from husky no supply  what next who can help it who can program it

The dash holds temporary data with the BMS-E as master for VIN/EWS & back up for ODO, the BMW Dealer Programming System asks if the dash has been replaced & if yes is specified then loads the info from BMS-E to the replacement dash assembly, last I heard however the BMW on line programming system had been changed so Authorised BMW Dealers could no longer access the Husky programming routines but it would be worth checking if that is the case, if so then you would need to see who has an "off line" BMW Dealer Programming System with the ability to program the Husky models

Damian23tys

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2020, 08:59:16 AM »
Wayne thanks so much  for your help i didn't understand 50%off technical stuff but i did understand i have to look for bmw diagnostic with older software hover i did call number of bmw dealers and husqvarna no one can help me need to consider any possible solution what about that gs-911 is that thing not good?
What about swapping micro chips from old unit to new one please answer as simple as it possible im not a technican
I heard that ktm could do it is that true im desperate really worried that i wont be able to run that bike again is a mint condition nuda with 3k miles on clock i have to get it back running we need to save that beauty please help😭😭😭

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 10:00:30 AM »
Wayne thanks so much  for your help i didn't understand 50%off technical stuff but i did understand i have to look for bmw diagnostic with older software hover i did call number of bmw dealers and husqvarna no one can help me need to consider any possible solution what about that gs-911 is that thing not good?
What about swapping micro chips from old unit to new one please answer as simple as it possible im not a technican
I heard that ktm could do it is that true im desperate really worried that i wont be able to run that bike again is a mint condition nuda with 3k miles on clock i have to get it back running we need to save that beauty please help😭😭😭

First, the GS911 is for diagnostics not programming & it is a great tool for the BMW models as well as the Nuda & TR650 Husky

Second, attempting a swap of IC's from one dash to another is not a good idea, it is done by those who dont understand the Nuda/TR650 ECU's  are designed to be programmed via OBDII protocols into the BMS-E  which acts as a gateway to access the dash via CAN-BUS, often they do not do diagnostics & determine the nature of the problem before trying to swap IC's, knowing precisely the fault detail is the key

You have not actually said what the type of damage your dash has, it would be better if you did so along with which country you are in

Lastly, it is not the BMW Diagnostic System you need, that is called ISTA, you need ISTA-P which is the older BMW Programming System for these models, it is now a legacy system as the latest models can be programmed is ISTA as well as diagnosed but not the TR650/Nuda

Re the Dealers, I am not surprised either BMW Dealers or Husky Dealers were unable to assist, the whole roll out of the TR650/Nuda into Husky Dealers was a disaster with many not dealers purchasing the hardware & software from BMW to work on the models, not many BMW Dealers looked at them either, KTM Dealers do not have what is needed to do programming, part of the condition of sale of Husky to Pierrer Industries was that there was no BMW technology transfer in the sale so they have to get everything pre programmed from BMW
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:03:02 AM by WayneC »

Damian23tys

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »
Dash has impact damage motherboard is in one pice but some of micro chips or switches are gone bike has ignition lights but there is no cranking. case is completely destroyed...
Ista -p is that software is used by bmw to deal with bikes and cars or there are 2 different version for it need known what i looking for when i type in ista p in ebay all connectors and equipment is for cars 16pin thanks again for your time don't know what i would do without u
Ps im from uk London

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 01:41:12 PM »
Dash has impact damage motherboard is in one pice but some of micro chips or switches are gone bike has ignition lights but there is no cranking. case is completely destroyed...
Ista -p is that software is used by bmw to deal with bikes and cars or there are 2 different version for it need known what i looking for when i type in ista p in ebay all connectors and equipment is for cars 16pin thanks again for your time don't know what i would do without u
Ps im from uk London

OK, understood re dash damage but if the dash was damaged that badly how can the rest of the bike be "a mint condition nuda" ?

The UK is a slightly different situation to other parts of the world in that Nuda & TR650's were sold out of a separate showroom area in BMW Dealers so there would have tp be some duty of care to ensure there is support for the models

Let us start with some basics, it is clear you are going to need some assistance as your knowledge of electronics etc is limited based on your reference to Integrated Circuits (IC's) as "Micro Chips" so you will need to seek out a workshop with knowledge & experience plus the software, you will not be likely to be able to do it all yourself, there are independent repairers in the UK set up with the software etc

Re the BMW ISTA & ISTA-P Dealer software, yes it is the same for the cars & bikes, a different interface cable is used to connect between the bike & the 16 pin OBDII connector used on the cars (and latest bike models)

Perhaps the first step would be to register with f650.co.uk and see if there is anyone with a GS91 WiFi near you prepared to run an autoscan & check of the bike & whether the dash is in anyway communicating with the BMS-E and what error codes are stored then save the autoscan
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:46:19 PM by WayneC »

Damian23tys

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 08:20:13 AM »
Wayne you are my hero thank God there are people  like you out there
Bike had a impact directly in dash only damage is dash and dash cover with got on orrder with mounting. Got my new dash already
Found guy with ista p funny turns out is my guy with deals with my bmw car ex mastertech bmw atm we are waiting for right cable to plug in is on orrder as well
I'll look for gs-911 in my area don't think there will be problem with that
Quastion about dash guy tells me he has many of thous units bought them with all parts after husky dealers shut down got mine with me looks new apart of glass has some scratches dont known is that from bad storage or maybe dash isn't new can i plug that dash to bike just to se what's happening before i will call in bmw guy?? Got 10 days to return item need to check that dasch

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »
Wayne you are my hero thank God there are people  like you out there
Bike had a impact directly in dash only damage is dash and dash cover with got on orrder with mounting. Got my new dash already
Found guy with ista p funny turns out is my guy with deals with my bmw car ex mastertech bmw atm we are waiting for right cable to plug in is on orrder as well
I'll look for gs-911 in my area don't think there will be problem with that
Quastion about dash guy tells me he has many of thous units bought them with all parts after husky dealers shut down got mine with me looks new apart of glass has some scratches dont known is that from bad storage or maybe dash isn't new can i plug that dash to bike just to se what's happening before i will call in bmw guy?? Got 10 days to return item need to check that dasch

Understood re damage to the bike

No hero here, just had to look closely at the TR650 & Nuda when we were doing beta testing so GS911 WiFi supported the models & a mate here has a very nice TR650 Terra so of course he wanted me to look into it as well

Re plugging the dash in before taking it to the BMW Guy, no it is best to take the bike to him falong with the replacement dash, he can diagnose it with ISTA to see if the old dash still communicates with the BMS-E , if it does then he can run the full ISTA-P replacement process which includes getting the data from the old dash to then put into the replacement, he should be familiar with the process from the BMW models & I assume he has the BMW ICOM-D interface cable to plug into the bike

I suspect from what you have said re the old dash that there will be no comms to BMS-E in which case he will have to hope ISTA-P simply gets the backup info from BMS- E then programs it into the replacement dash

It will be interesting to hear how he goes, while I know the process I have not looked over the shoulder of a tech actually doing it here

If the person who you are having it all done by has purchased a lot of spares from the Husky Dealers who shut down he may like to let me know as owners looking for parts do ask me from time to time especially my mate with his Terra

Damian23tys

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 05:09:39 PM »
Hi just had a gs911 scan done
Cun buss off 52613
Dash doesnd respond dont work at all befor i had working lights etc. but in mean time more bits comes off i guess
He cant communicate with ecm was only able to scan nothing else now we waiting for 16pin to 10pin wire to try program new dash
Where are u from? is any way to contact u phone etc while bmw guy will be with me and equipment you will be wery helpful thanks again after all that i own u big bottle of whatever you like 👍

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 05:33:41 PM »
Hi just had a gs911 scan done
Cun buss off 52613
Dash doesnd respond dont work at all befor i had working lights etc. but in mean time more bits comes off i guess
He cant communicate with ecm was only able to scan nothing else now we waiting for 16pin to 10pin wire to try program new dash
Where are u from? is any way to contact u phone etc while bmw guy will be with me and equipment you will be wery helpful thanks again after all that i own u big bottle of whatever you like 👍

OK understood re GS911 & no CAN BUS, to be expected with what you said re the dash damage

Re the 16 pin to 10 pin ICOM-D adaptor it is possible to tap off the wires to a 16 pin female but better to wait for the cable

Re contact, you can establish contact via my 650GS web site contact form  http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ContactGS.html

Damian23tys

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
Hi i did attempt number of times to aplay for contact with you through link you provided every time comes up with error 500 not available
Got adapter with me now waiting for bmw guy to replay and arrive any other ways ti contact you instantly