Author Topic: How to balance idle actuators  (Read 9626 times)

Christopher Sparks

How to balance idle actuators
« on: April 27, 2017, 02:20:33 AM »
My question is how do you perform (balance idle actuators) correctly for a R1200GSA (K51) 2014.

I have a rough idle and was hoping that (balance idle actuators) would do the trick but I'm unclear if I followed the procedure correctly. I simple pressed the reset button and it said that it was completed. I then scrolled down the page and read that I should run the bike until the fan comes on. At this point I stopped because my thinking was the process was complete and if I were to run the bike until the fan came on, nothing would be monitoring it.

GS 911 is a great tool and has actually saved my bacon in Mongolia but it is let down by the lack of instructions. I have spent days trowelling the internet put to no avail, so any help I'd be truly grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:22:08 AM by Christopher Sparks »

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
Re: How to balance idle actuators
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »
I'm guessing here...

You can't control/sync the idle actuators... the BMSX (?) does.   The reset (guess) tells the BMSX to throw away any learned values.  That takes a half a second and is all the GS-911 can do.   You then need to run the bike through its operating temperature range so the BMSX learns the appropriate new values.

I'd be very happy if someone who KNOWS could verify that.  Or tell me I'm wrong.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 02:40:47 AM »
Running the machine until the fan goes on to rebuild the adaptions after a reset is a standard procedure on both car and bike EFI models, in the TSB for the recent G650GS recall in fact BMW specifies letting the fan cycle on and off at least twice to ensure the adaptions are properly rebuilt
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 02:42:57 AM by WayneC »

Christopher Sparks

How to balance idle actuators
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 01:56:57 AM »
Many thanks for the reply #marchyman #WayneC

I'm no mechanic but I have managed to perform a major service after buying the special tools and ironically using #marchyman tutorials (many thanks).

The only thing I'm faced with is the rough idle which I'm hoping to fix buy relearning the adaptations as stated. Am I right in thinking that the adaptions can be learnt without the need of the GS-911 being plugged in. I ask because after I pressed reset I turned the ignition off and haven't turned it back on since (just being cautious as I don't what to get myself into pickle). If my query sounds odd in any way it's because I'm now a little uncertain what I pressed - it seemed self explanatory at the time.

On that note, by relearning the adaptions - does this sound like the solution to my idle problem. What wound BMW do as my timing and clearances are 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:21:16 AM by Christopher Sparks »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 02:13:49 AM »
That is correct, after doing the reset, the GS911 does not need to be connected while the adaptions are rebuilt by idling the machine

Reset of adaptions is  a first step tool used by BMW techs when investigating problems such as rough idle, a BMW rep I spoke to last year was frustrated people did not understand the importance of reset/rebuilds, he recounted a story of running a test ride day and during the morning people reported one 1200GS was a bit of a dog, he had the tech with him run reset/rebuild at lunch time and the afternoon riders reported what a sweet machine it was, it is not the answer to everything but important when working on machines and replacing parts

Kortgat

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:51:19 AM »
That is correct, after doing the reset, the GS911 does not need to be connected while the adaptions are rebuilt by idling the machine
As simple as it sounds, this where my uncertainty comes in: The instruction is something like "run the machine untill the fan comes on". Is it acceptable to just use the bike normally untill the fan comes on, or is it important to do as WayneC says "idle the machine"?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 06:58:51 AM »
The machine has to be started and the throttle not moved during the adaption rebuild, all of that is specified in BMW TSB's to the Dealers

davtho1957

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »
in most cases the idle is so rough after an adaptation reset that it will require some throttle to continue

Paul Hoffmann

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 09:47:12 AM »
Hi Wayne
You mention TSB`s.  I have searched Google and can't find a link to them, can you point me in the right direction?
Cheers
Paul

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »
Hi Paul

The procedure re reset and adaption rebuild is a standard generic process which is applicable to many makes and models of vehicles with "learning" ECU's including BMW cars and bikes.

There can be some variations on whether the idle is for a specified period or until the fan kicks in as per the bikes

The BMW Dealer Diags system normally prompts the Dealer Tech to turn off ignition and then back on then start and idle etc and can have some explanatory text on screen. Hexcode give the same explanations and instructions on screen on the models I have looked at

In terms of TSB's there are some over at f650.com for the 650GS models and I would expect the other model forums would have liberated TSB's for their specific models. NHTSA can be a good source of TSB's where you know of recalls or problems with a specific model

The latest TSB I am aware of is the detailed TSB BMW issued to dealers over the G650GS 2013+ BMS-E Recall and properly published on the NHTSA web site, it is pretty clear from the way BMW detailed the TSB that one could say the Dealers have not always followed properly procedures

G650GS TSB and remedial Action
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/RCRIT-16V689-3315.pdf

Paul Hoffmann

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 06:06:30 PM »
Thanks Wayne for the quick reply.
I had seen the TSB`s on F650 but was more interested for my 1200GS (should have mentioned it).
I will look at the nhtsa site and see if I can find any.
As far as adaptations I have reset them successfully both on the 650 and 1200 so I am happy with that (you gave me some advice recently for the 650)
Cheers again for the info.
Paul