Author Topic: Connecting GS911 WiFi to Laptop without Internet  (Read 14050 times)

chewbacca

Connecting GS911 WiFi to Laptop without Internet
« on: April 07, 2017, 02:21:29 AM »
I have been told you can have Service Functionality if you connect to a PC (no internet connection)
Anyone doing that?
If so, do you do it in D2D?
Do you do using usb cable?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Connecting GS911 WiFi to Laptop without Internet
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 02:48:26 AM »
Yes you can use WiFi to connect to the PC and use the PC App, I use the first 2 methods below, the third should also work

1/ Use the USB cable

2/ Configure GS911 to connect to your home WiFi network, same for PC, note the IP No of the GS911 then open GS911 PC App and in set up enter GS911 TCP/IP No and press test interface, it should find it and you will then be able to use the PC app

3/ Configure GS911 for D2D and connect PC,  note the IP No of the GS911 then open GS911 PC App and in set up enter GS911 TCP/IP No and press test interface, it should find it and you will then be able to use the PC app

chewbacca

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 04:44:04 AM »
This is getting extremely frustrating.  None of them worked.
The usb cable hasn't seemed to work since the initial registration.  The usb SHOULD eliminate the need for a WiFi connection between the device and the PC, RIGHT????  I sure don't see that.
When I look at the Video on configuration the new version doesn't work like the one in the video.  Getting the browser to fire either doesn't have a button or greyed out many times when I'm being shown or told to do something.
When I watch IP addresses, it looks like cache's aren't clearing and who knows what IP address is being used. 
When I scanned and found my WiFi extender's name, the IP address is the same as the router address and the network name isn't changing.
It sure looks like the WiFi components in the GS911 unit are not working right OR the PC software isn't working right.  I am measuring my signal strength right at the device and it is rock solid but

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 04:52:57 AM »
I can assure you it works very well

The first step I take when using a home WiFi system is to use the DHCP client part of any modem/router to find the device, then I reserve an IP No for the GS911 so it always uses the same No, my method is due to the fact I work in IT/Telecoms

One mistake you seem to be making is you mention using the Web Interface where your enquiry was re PC App

The fact the USB cable is not working would suggest either a problem with USB settings on the PC  or a faulty individual unit, what version of Windows are you using ?, Win7 is known to have problematic power savings settings on USB, use a USB viewer or device manager to ensure the GS911 is seen properly by windows

chewbacca

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 05:43:29 AM »
I can assure you it works very well  --- Not sure how you can say that because there is a distinct possibility I have a bad unit.  That comes from 30+ years of trouble shooting

The first step I take when using a home WiFi system is to use the DHCP client part of any modem/router to find the device, then I reserve an IP No for the GS911 so it always uses the same No, my method is due to the fact I work in IT/Telecoms  -- I have no control over DHCP where I can assign static addresses or reserve addresses. That is my ISP's function.  I also work in IT.

One mistake you seem to be making is you mention using the Web Interface where your enquiry was re PC App  I'm not sure what you mean.

The fact the USB cable is not working would suggest either a problem with USB settings on the PC  or a faulty individual unit, what version of Windows are you using ?, Win7 is known to have problematic power savings settings on USB, use a USB viewer or device manager to ensure the GS911 is seen properly by windows
I'm using Win10 and I checked my USB devices and all are running OK and I turned off power settings.

Do you know if the usb cable takes the place of a WiFi connection??? 
When I scan for a WiFi connection and select the name of the connection for my WiFi extender, the wrong network name is showing when I connect to that net.
The PC app is taking forever to display.   I'm showing 100% on that WiFi Connection at the GS911 device.

mike d

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
Using the USB cable and PC application only is the simplest configuration to try out the GS-911 WiFi.

If you can't get it going like that then you have something more fundamental wrong.

Have you downloaded the latest PC App?

Mike

chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:40:09 PM »
Using the USB cable and PC application only is the simplest configuration to try out the GS-911 WiFi.

If you can't get it going like that then you have something more fundamental wrong.

Have you downloaded the latest PC App?

Mike
Thanks Mike.  I just got an email from the mojohelpdesk.  What I was missing was the difference between the PC App and the 911wifi Utility.  The capabilities of the PC App sure look like what I need.  I'll come back when I test it and explain what I find out. 
Rod

chewbacca

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 03:22:31 AM »
The GS-911 PC application did the trick.  Thanks again Mike.
I recommended to support that in the videos or somewhere in the instructions that the difference between, or the shear fact that there are two separate apps be emphasized.  Maybe I'm stupid but GS-911wifi Utility sounds a lot like "a"  GS-911 utility rather than "the" GS-911wifi UTILITY.  That makes hard heads like me think there is only one app, utility or whatever, not two separate apps with separate capabilities.

Dann

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:46:34 AM »
I have been told you can have Service Functionality if you connect to a PC (no internet connection)
Anyone doing that?
If so, do you do it in D2D?
Do you do using usb cable?

I have a Win10 tablet and I always connect to the GS-911 with the USB cable with no issues. All service functionalities are available with the PC software.

Radian

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
Agree it is all a bit confusing.
I have now situation where I can see the device connected with USB
Also device works with iPhone at bike (my home wifi is very weak in the garage). So now I need to take PC to garage to connect via USB to the bike and then start the PC app?

So wifi connect between PC (Laptop) and GS911 wifi will not work in garage because Laptop is not strong connected to internet via my home wifi. So now the whole wifi thing seems a bit useless since I cannot connect via wifi from Laptop to GS911 unless I have internet connection which I cannot have in the garage without now installing a wifi extender station.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 01:53:04 AM »
You put the GS911 into D2D mode with the button on it then connect the PC Laptop WiFi to the GS911 and use a browser to do emergency functions

It sounds like it would be a good idea though to install a WiFi extender in the workshop for more than just GS911, they are low cost

GS Jim

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 02:44:56 AM »
Also make sure you have selected WiFi Address under Tools/Setup. If using a cable set back to usb.