Author Topic: Self canceling turn signals..So how DO they work?  (Read 23719 times)

Alan T. Butler

• Nice day for somethin'
Self canceling turn signals..So how DO they work?
« on: March 19, 2017, 06:31:33 PM »
There is this long enduring, often tongue-in-cheek thread on I-BMW.com, entitled: Self canceling turn signals..So how DO they work?
Finally somebody has actually found out how they work!  Apparently there are settings that can be made by the BMW service guy, which allow the distance and the time values (after the first flash) at which your turn signals are cancelled.  Here is the link to the critical post in that thread: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=763856&posted=1#post763856.  According to this post, your BMW service guy can change the time from first flash to cancel to 10, 15, or 20 seconds, and the distance to 210, 350, or 500 meters.

My first thought was, "Hey, if this is a setting, when will we be able to change it with our GS-911s?"  Maybe the Hex Code guys know about this and will get to it "some day," or maybe they don't know that this capability even exists.

Just thought I'd pass along this bit of intel.

Seeya
 ATB

Francois Cilliers

• Beta testers
Re: Self canceling turn signals..So how DO they work?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
Yes, we are aware of this. :) We have recently aquired technical information about coding options like this one for the ZFE central vehicle electronics / body controller, and we do plan to support it in future once we have tested an implementation.

If you have an older S1000RR (pre 2015 model), this coding option has been supported by the GS-911 for a long time already. See: http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/kombi46

Unfortunately, we are still trying to gather the related information for the newer K001 chassis bike models, so coding functions for newer bike models are still a bit futher away in the future.

Alan T. Butler

• Nice day for somethin'
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:36:41 PM »
Thank you very much for getting back!  I almost always cancel my turn signals manually, but I just thought I'd bring this interesting bit of information to your attention.  Good to know that you were already aware. 

The thing I would really like to be able to do is change my clock on my 2016 S1000XR to 24-hr display.  I had used my GS-911 to get my 2010 R1200GS Adv and my 2013 K1300S set up this way, but they've both been replaced by the XR. 

Thank you
 ATB

Francois Cilliers

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:11:24 AM »
The XR is one of the newer K001 bikes for which we are still trying to get the relevant technical information. This is a very popular request, so we definitely want to add those configuration options.

Dann

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 05:08:11 AM »
I have a 2007 R1200RT.
Is it possible to adjust it on my bike?
If it's possible, where is the option in the software?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 01:37:47 AM »
The cancelling function was done within the Indicator relay on old models and was not adjustable via diagnostics

Dann

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 02:57:16 AM »
Thanks for the info.
No luck for me I guess.

rob377

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:22:00 PM »
Yes, we are aware of this. :) We have recently aquired technical information about coding options like this one for the ZFE central vehicle electronics / body controller, and we do plan to support it in future once we have tested an implementation.

If you have an older S1000RR (pre 2015 model), this coding option has been supported by the GS-911 for a long time already. See: http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/kombi46

Unfortunately, we are still trying to gather the related information for the newer K001 chassis bike models, so coding functions for newer bike models are still a bit futher away in the future.

I'm very glad to hear the turn signal parameter will be added! Thank you!

Ron from BC

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
Any updates on the ability to change the default settings for the self cancel turn signals on the newer bikes? ('17 R1200GS et al)

e7navy1999

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 04:56:27 PM »
So if  understand this thread correctly, If I have an older (pre-2015) K1600  I can change my turn signal count down with the GS-911????.  if so, how do i do it? 

Mornay

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »
So if  understand this thread correctly, If I have an older (pre-2015) K1600  I can change my turn signal count down with the GS-911????.  if so, how do i do it?

The turn signal configuration is only available on the S1000 range pre-2015:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function_charts/kombi46_func_chart

net2phill

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »
Hi Hex Code Guys,

Just wondering if this is still on the roadmap. This is one of the few annoyances of my RT (there really aren't many), but if I can adjust that with the GS-911, wouldn't that be special!

It's OK if the functionality isn't there yet, but I'd just like to know that the effort to add it is still alive.

Thanks in advance!

Francois Barnard

• Administrator
    • HEX Innovate
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2019, 09:01:07 AM »
Hi Hex Code Guys,

Just wondering if this is still on the roadmap. This is one of the few annoyances of my RT (there really aren't many), but if I can adjust that with the GS-911, wouldn't that be special!

It's OK if the functionality isn't there yet, but I'd just like to know that the effort to add it is still alive.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,

Just to poke the interest again - this coding functionality indeed has been implemented for the newer K001 generation bikes where supported, but it is currently limited to beta users. We hope to have this released to general users once it has been thoroughly tested and validated.

Kind Regards,
FrancoisB

Guilherme

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Hi Alan,

The link you mentioned  http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=763856&posted=1#post763856 don't works.... unfortunately.
What separates men from boys is the price of their toys......

Dann

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »
FYI Turn signals have been modified on 2019 R1250RTs.
They turn off immediately after a turn like on a car.
I assume that the the bike detects the lean angle of a turn and turns the turn signal off when the bike straightens up. (That's a lot of  'turn' in the same sentence.  ;) )