Author Topic: Ignition problems?  (Read 7814 times)

kjhunt

Ignition problems?
« on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:20 AM »
Hi one and all, some time back I posted about the problemn with my ignition for the GS650 Dakar, 2001 model. In that when I turned the key all the way, the dash board would not light up, unless I turned the key a fraction back and then it would and could start the bike. Now the situation seems to have goit worse in that I now cannot start the bike or if it does, then it just fires up and cuts out and no matter how I move the key the dash does not light up anymore.
Question has anyone out there every opened up the ignition to reset the tumblers. If so how was it done and did it work? I know that I have to drill out the security bolts there, but once inside how do you reset the settings to your key?
Love to know...
I am not keen to order a new Ignition as this would be the third time and I live a days ride from the closest BMW workshop and to have the bike picked up to go there, costs more than an arm and a leg
Many thanks Ken Hunt.

schuppi

Re: Ignition problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 10:48:35 PM »
Hello
Didn't never do it on a 650 :) but if you get it out, it would look like this.

Then you have to change the the little plates in order of the old one.
This plates are numbered with "1 > 2 > 3 > 4"

Hope this helps and good luck
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 02:19:51 AM »
The switch section of the ignition switch comes off without removing the mechanical lock part or drilling the security bolts and yes others have worked on the switch, there are threads about it at f650.com, a pdf of one is on the page below

http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/WiringRepair.html

kjhunt

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 03:50:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply regarding the ignition problem. I am not really sure now what is going on, I will explain. I have blown out any dust or what ever in the ignition switch, and recharged the battery. I switched on and the key was in its correct position, and the dash lights all came on. I started the bike and it worked for a few seconds before cutting out, and the dash lights all went out. I turned on again and every thing lit up, and again fired up the bike, this time when it came alive I turned the throttle up just a fraction and the bike remained running. When I let go the throttle and it wen t down to idle it cut out. It did this twice.
So really do not know if the ignition switch is at fault or the wiring or both.
Ken.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 04:04:15 AM »
Sounds like a combination of problems not just one fault, normally start and stall would be likely to be idle actuator and dirty throttle body air ways but dash lamps going out at the same time suggests a wiring problem. I would be checking all the known harness chafing points like steering head/radiator/shock adjuster, top rear engine mount, considering the age of the machine a full throttle body clean would be worthwhile as well