Author Topic: My GS-911...Firmware update???  (Read 11907 times)

David McDougall

My GS-911...Firmware update???
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »
Earlier this week, after changing my engine oil, I was using my GS-911 to reset the service interval on my 2011 R1200GS.  At one point, I got a message on my laptop screen...something to the effect...click on check updates under the About menu for a firmware update.  It wasn't clear to me if it was talking about updating the firmware on my GS-911, on my  bike, on my laptop, or what.

There was no way I was going to download an unexpected, unknown, firmware update with my GS-911 connected to my bike, in case it was malicious and screwed up my bike's computers.  So, I disconnected the GS-911 from the bike and then clicked on check updates on the About menu but it said my GS-911 was up to date.  I also went to the Hexcode website, but I could find no note about any firmware update.

So, I am wondering if the Hexcode folk can clarify what this was all about????

Thanks,

Best regards,

Dave McDougall
2011 R1200 GS

Haakon

Re: My GS-911...Firmware update???
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:13:20 AM »
I am sure you did the right thing.
To help the Hexcode people understand and give acurate advice, try have pencil and paper ready- to write down exactly what the meassge was- with "code" and whatever.
Haakon
2000 F650-GS

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Re: My GS-911...Firmware update???
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »
Occasionally we ask for a Firmware update. This is generally after you have updated the PC software...

We only update 2 things:
1. PC software (to add more functionality) and
2. GS-911 firmware (required for newer functionality in the PC software)

However, if your GS-911 was up to date, then it was not us popping up that notification...  there are a number of things on your PC that could ask for a firmware upgrade...

best
Stephan

currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN