Author Topic: Key Coding?  (Read 21359 times)

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Key Coding?
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
Is there any possibility of seeing key coding functionality with the new GS911?

I would assume that it poses all kinds of security risks, but I have needed it on a number of occasions and have always had to refer clients to BMW.

marki_gsa

Re: Key Coding?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »

I would assume that it poses all kinds of security risks, but I have needed it on a number of occasions and have always had to refer clients to BMW.

Personally I see this as as it should be. Security features like this should never be put in the hands of anyone outside a dealer network especially when no master key is needed.

Haakon

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »
A security risk, yes.
Do you want to recode a key?
There have been rumors of the whole key antenna system break down (burn out?) when bikes were parked close to a  broadcast antenna??? (true or not ? I do not know)
A few people removed the whole thing and hardwired it.
I will try find the links

2000 F650-GS

bikecrazy5

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
hi guys
the key coding is a security system built to protect the client by bmw imagine if a syndicate could get hold of a way to code keys...

the keys get coded to your vin number by bmw Germany. and the dealers can only activate or deactivate that key. yet another safety measure incase mail gets intercepted.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:28:04 AM »
A few people removed the whole thing and hardwired it.

Removed the whole what?  Hardwire what?  The engine management system?  On the R1200 bikes the only external component is the EWS antenna ring and that is directly connected to the BMS-K.  Unless you have some way of replacing the code in the BMS-K the bike isn't going to go anywhere without a coded key.

Haakon

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:12 PM »
Please forgive me, I was a bit hasty in my reply- the "remove the ring antenna and bypass"  could be done on a few older bikes where the "eletronic identification " was part of the ring antenna.
A good link here tho  :-*  http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/ews   :D
Safety? There are information online on how to steal high end BMW and Mercedes cars :-(
You need a key blank and a ODB coding unit (both sold on the web :-(
This article state it takes 3 minutes .... 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2169857/Alarming-moment-thieves-silently-steal-BMW-programming-blank-key-cost-just-70.html
-----------------
If the EVS is prone to fail and may leave you stranded I personally do NOT want it.   

2000 F650-GS

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 11:11:05 AM »

Yeah, I have looked at this some time ago.. can't remember the exact details, but the long and short of it is that the BMSK comes with 10 keys precoded (as I understand it) - you can then enable or disable them...

I thought of disabling them, so that if you loose a key, you can "remove" it form the ECU, so someone cannot come and simply ride away with your bike.. but, I would need to do some testing here... not sure if for instance the "removed key" would allow you to enable it again... which would make the process above pointless if the "lost" key got in the wrong hands...  and hence the security risk of us providing a theft tool to the baddies out there...

however, I can use the same argument to say, well if you didn't implement this function, and the baddie got hold of the key, then you are in the same predicament... so by adding this functionality, exactly how have you INCREASED the security risk...

Anyway, we know to little about the system  - comments are welcome...

@Jughead : under what circumstances have you needed this functionality?

best,
Stephan
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
1:  One of my clients recently did a trip into Botswana.  Somewhere along the way he hit a stretch of deep sand and cartwheeled the bike (with his wife on the back!)  Cut a long story short, he left the bike in the workshop of a filling station nearby, with the intention of collecting it later.  Being a little "out of it" after the off, he forgot the key in the ignition. 

When he went back to collect the bike the key was missing.  The local locksmith could cut a new chipped key for him but he cannot start the bike with it as the EWS error comes up.  Bike had to go to BMW to code the new key to work.

2:  Client came in a few days ago with his bike and 2 keys, one that he normally uses and the spare he got with the bike (2009 1200RT), that has never been used since day 1.  The key normally used works 100% but while the spare is the correct key for the bike, the EWS error comes up.  Had to once again refer him to BMW.

3:  Client rode through Baviaanskloof and dropped the bike in a rather deep watercrossing.  Water was flowing rather swiftly and by the time he got his bike recovered back onto the road, half his luggage was gone, including his tankbag, which contained his spare key.  Once again the new key could be cut by the locksmith but BMW had to code it.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:43:26 AM »
I can also add a little experience/information to this thread, not sure if it is useful or not;

On the R1200RT, getting a replacement or additional key from the BMW dealer is just a simple matter of going there with the vehicle-paperwork of ownership and photo-ID. (passport, drivers license)
After paying them, they order one and within 3 days the new key arrives, and can be used immediately.
I asked the BMW dealer and they explained that the key is factory-coded to the VIN-number of the bike.
That is at least what I'm told.
So, no hassle with relearning keys and such.

And also be aware that strong radio-signals (radar & mobile radio in our case) can also create havoc at times with the EWS.

If you have trouble starting your bike or switching off the alarm whilst near a stadium or other public gathering, please push your bike a hundred metres (or at least a substantial distance) away and try again.
Next to mobile radio and radar, the high power uplink of TV camera's are known to cause issues at times.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:15:56 AM by DutchMidiMan »

PeterS

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 03:07:36 AM »
There are a few scenarios presented in this topic. Mine is a key was stolen so, I assume, whoever has it knows it fits by bike. The GS-911 will disable the lost key provided you have a valid key(s) to put in the ignition. That is, the complete inventory of valid keys will be limited to those presented during this procedure. A replacement key(s) can be activated by a complimentary procedure. As far as I know, a dealer's involvement is limited to ordering a replacement and supplying the diagnostic tool if you don't have one.

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 06:55:20 AM »
There are a few scenarios presented in this topic. Mine is a key was stolen so, I assume, whoever has it knows it fits by bike. The GS-911 will disable the lost key provided you have a valid key(s) to put in the ignition. That is, the complete inventory of valid keys will be limited to those presented during this procedure. A replacement key(s) can be activated by a complimentary procedure. As far as I know, a dealer's involvement is limited to ordering a replacement and supplying the diagnostic tool if you don't have one.

Provided the new key supplied by the dealer is based on the VIN number of the bike (and comes pre-coded to the bike) nothing else is necessary.  However, should there be any change to the coding, the dealer will have to be involved as the GS911 does not permit such coding changes.