Author Topic: GS-911 WiFi Capabilities  (Read 10330 times)

BMWRGS

GS-911 WiFi Capabilities
« on: August 10, 2016, 12:20:46 AM »
So far from what I can make out, all the GS-911 WiFi can do is perform an AutoScan, view modules, read and clear codes and clear and set the Service reminder.

Can any of the module be user modified?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: GS-911 WiFi Capabilities
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 05:02:21 AM »
There are also all the features of the earlier GS911 like the output component tests

Not sure what you mean by "can any of the module be user modified", if you mean can the GS911 update firmware in an ECU, no it cant

BMWRGS

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
There are also all the features of the earlier GS911 like the output component tests

Not sure what you mean by "can any of the module be user modified", if you mean can the GS911 update firmware in an ECU, no it cant

Thanks Wayne.

I have two other dongles / software for my VW Group car (Ross-Tech) and Porsche (Durametric) and I was expecting the same functionality, within reason, of my GS-911 WiFi.

For example, on my VW, I changed the 12H time format to 24H, I also switched the silly horn beep off when activating the alarm. Plus I was able to adjust the count for speedometer calibration and run the fuel pump to purge the diesel system of air when changing the fuel filter. The Ross Tech software is quite impressive.

Here are some screen shots which I hope are allowed since it does not compete with Hex Code.
https://edelweiss.smugmug.com/Cars/2013-Volkswagen-Jetta-TDI/Changing-the-display-format/

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
Firstly the GS911 WiFi cannot be considered a dongle, I would not call the OBDII interfaces for the cars dongles either for that matter it is a poor term

The WiFi is two tools in one

1/ In USB Operation it is simply an OBD K Line or CAN DIag vehicle Interface with functionality from the PC App
2/ In WiFi mode it is a testing and monitoring tool as well as a vehicle interface with some functionality inbuilt and some available via cloud

There is component testing in cloud and PC App which ever you are using and for models which support it there is some coding capability which is what you are pointing to in the Ross Tech software

The bottom line is the GS911 is equivalent to the other tools you refer to within the limitations of the diagnostics and test capabilities allowed for in the BMW ECU's and it goes further than the other tools mentioned in that there is real time logging capability inbuilt which the other tools do not have

I suggest you look at the functionality chart which is available on the Hexcode web site, it sets out the capability for each model and ECU, they keep it updated as they continue development of the functionality
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 05:42:52 PM by WayneC »

BMWRGS

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:38:00 PM »
The WiFi is two tools in one

1/ In USB Operation it is simply an OBD K Line or CAN DIag vehicle Interface with functionality from the PC App
2/ In WiFi mode it is a testing and monitoring tool as well as a vehicle interface with some functionality inbuilt and some available via cloud

There is component testing in cloud and PC App which ever you are using and for models which support it there is some coding capability which is what you are pointing to in the Ross Tech software

The bottom line is the GS911 is equivalent to the other tools you refer to within the limitations of the diagnostics and test capabilities allowed for in the BMW ECU's and it goes further than the other tools mentioned in that there is real time logging capability inbuilt which the other tools do not have.

Thanks Wayne,

As for the parts I bolded above, are you saying there are different capabilities in USB or WiFi mode? That is the way I now understand it based on your comments above. Please confirm.

A R1200 GSA LC member on another forum said he had the dealer switch his time format from 12H to 24H so it is a matter of coding.

By the way, Ross-Tech does real time data (having viewed it) and all from my laptop. Nifty stuff! I haven't needed to use the Durametric all that much and it has been a while, so I won't comment on it.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 03:13:26 AM »
Yes there is a difference in mode of operation between USB and WiFi

When connecting via USB the GS911 WiFi is acting as a Vehicle Communications Interface with the functionality provided by the PC software as per your RossTech software and the VCI  you refer to as a "dongle"

When in WiFi mode the GS911 is operating from inbuilt firmware with basic "emergency" functionality such as reading/clearing fault codes and real time logging capability inbuilt plus platform independent "maintenance" functionality including coding provided via cloud services

The real time logging capability with the Ross-Tech is provided by the Ross-Tech software, not inbuilt in the VCI being used, with the Ross-Tech software you cant initiate real time logging and leave the VCI only connected to the machine and log for up to a year or so collecting data as you can with a GS911 WiFi