Author Topic: F800GS realtime values failure  (Read 18389 times)

wayne

F800GS realtime values failure
« on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:10 PM »
When I run the realtime values all is fine until I start the engine.  It runs OK for a few seconds then I get a fault of 'checksum failure'.  This is an improvement over the previous read out which simply said there was no contact with the controller.  -- any ideas? 
   All this was brought to the forefront because the bike stalled several times after I did a service -- replaced the spark plugs and checked the valves.   When I close down the throttle the rpm drops well below 1000 then either recovers to 1100 or stalls.  It does not do this until I've been riding for several minutes.  The only things I can think of are -- spark plugs, did not get the throttle cable properly reseated after I moved it, the 3 vacuum tubes leading to the air box are not correctly connected.  I have not torn the bike down yet because I'm not sure the problem will repeat.  I get no fault codes even though this happened several times.  Any Ideas?

thanks

wayne

bikecrazy5

Re: F800GS realtime values failure
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
hi Wayne

I take it you didn't remove the throttle body as it is possible to remove the tappet cover with it in place...best bet is make sure the vacuum tubes are on correctly. sounds like the bike is  sucking air...while you at it make sure you have plugged in all the necessary plugs in correctly. including the throttle position sensor.

if all is correct reset throttle positions and adaption values.

regards
mike

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:34 PM »
Yip, my vote would go to the 2 vacuum tubes under the airbox not being replaced.  Been there, done that!  ;D

Also check the plug for the air temp sensor.  But if there are no error codes, that should be fine.

wayne

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:47:06 PM »
Thanks for all the advice re stalling.  After I posted my note I tried to get the problem to re-occur but it won't happen.  I've run the bike for two days at all sorts of speeds and it performs perfectly. I think you are right about sucking air but probably not about the cause.  I have not taken it down to the cover again but when i looked the 3 vacuum hoses were connected properly.  I did a valve check on the F800 and DID NOT replace the valve cover gasket ($80) as required or the valve cover breather gasket.  There is no leaking around the cover so that looks like it's OK.  The air leak could have come from the breather gasket which finally seated itself after some running.  The other choice is the rubber manifolds that connect the air box to the injectors.  The air box is inserted by braille and i may have got it cocked so it did not set properly.  Again, some running with the accompanying jiggling may have pushed everything into the proper place.  I agree that it's likely a 'sucking air'  problem but these are the only causes I can come up with and since the problem has gone away I will not investigate further until the next time I open it up.  At that time I will change the breather gasket even if I don't find it necessary to  replace the valve cover gasket  (this gasket is on it's 2nd check since being replaced so that's a $150 saving so far). I will also be absolutely sure the three hoses to the air box are OK and the box is seated properly into the rubber manifolds.

I guess no one has a comment on the failure to connect with the 'realtime values' once I start the engine. The GS911 connects just fine with the engine off.

thanks for your help

wayne

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »
Hi Wayne

I will try to simulate the problem on my 2009 F800GS tomorrow.  What model is yours.

I have never tried to run realtime values on the 800, but will let you know as soon as I have.

wayne

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Hi Jughead

I have the bluetooth GS911 but get the same non-connection between the GS911 and the bike whether it's on bluetooth or usb cable.  Everything is fine until I start the engine then it either gives a few seconds of values then goes to "no contact with controller" or it just goes directly to the "no contact" statement.   I think it is something with the computer on my bike.  When this first happened Stephen swapped out the GS911 unit with a new one and had the same result. If you mean what model computer on the bike I have no idea.  Any help is appreciated

thanks

wayne

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:31:27 AM »
 ;D lol

No, I meant what model bike you have.  I know it's an F800GS, but what year?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:00:56 AM by Jughead »

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »
OK, just tried to simulate on mine.

Took realtime values with just the ignition on.  All OK.

Started the motor, no change.  Kept on receiving data.

Backed out to the main screen, and went back into Realtime values without any error.

Appears you have a problem on your particular bike.

If you have not already done so, try putting the bike on the center stand with the side stand retracted.

Below are the realtime values with only the ignition on and at idle.

wayne

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »
Thanks for looking

I've pretty much decided that there's something wonky with either the computer or the connections

wayne

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:06:54 PM »
Have you tried with the bike on the center stand and the side stand retracted?

Or maybe try bridging out the side stand switch altogether while running the diags.

The older R1100 and 1150RTs will not comm at all with the side stand out.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:08:40 PM by Jughead »

wayne

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 02:19:55 AM »
Thanks for the idea -- I'll give it a shot and let you know

wayne

Britmech

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
Hi
Had the same issue on a F650CS (2002) using blu and usb and mine was cured after contact with Stephen or one of the other lads at Hex , they said about electrical interference , so I change the spark plug and the coil pack , problem solved . So perhaps try checking connections to coil packs make sure usb lead is not running near anything wiring-electrical wise or shielding the coil packs with tin foil I did not try that because I had a plug and coil pack spare. it may work ?
By the way the bike did run ok.
Let us know if you try the foil shielding either way.