Author Topic: datalogger files  (Read 9931 times)

Cityshop

datalogger files
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:29:09 AM »
Hello,new to gs911 and forums. Can't figure out software issues. Device works great but when saving datalog files, they open in excel in a jumbled, binary, run together mess. Can't figure out how to set up so I can save files to be readable. Any help would be appreciated

hotrabbitsoup

Re: datalogger files
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »
hello,  the files the gs911 creates are text files and are a pretty common way of putting together the data.   The standard term is CSV, or a "comma separated variables" file which means the variables are all separated by a comma.    The GS911 creates a semicolon/colon separated file.

With Excel you can either

1)  a) create a new spreadsheet then b) insert the gs911 text file into the spreadsheet using the text insert function.   The text file is delimited and the columns separated by semicolons.   When you choose to insert the text file into the new spreadsheet Excel will ask whether the file is delimited and what is separating the variable.

2) try opening the file from Excel,  when I do this it asks me whether the file is delimited and what the delimiter is.   

Joth

Re: datalogger files
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:02:41 PM »
Hi

Rename the file from xxxxxxx.csv to xxxxxxx.txt

Open excel and select open
Select the type of files you are wanting to open i.e.  "Text Files (*.prn;*.txt;*.csv)"
Select your file and click open
Select my data has a header, and then in the wizard when it asks what is the delimiter select semicolon ";"
Complete the wizard and the file will open with each of the data in a separate column.

Joth