Author Topic: Setting up WiFi  (Read 8281 times)

BMWRGS

Setting up WiFi
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:56:31 PM »
I have set up my router and have countless wireless things connected to it, so this should not be rocket science for me.

Yet, I cannot get my new GS-911 WiFi to work in the wireless mode. Sorry to say, but the instructions are not very clear.

It is registered, has one VIN logged and I have run it using the USB cable and all works well.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Setting up WiFi
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:09:03 AM »
A little more info would be needed to be able to assist you, firstly you did not mention if you had updated the GS911 to the latest version of firmware

What steps did you take in attempting to configure the GS911 WiFi interface ?

BMWRGS

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
A little more info would be needed to be able to assist you, firstly you did not mention if you had updated the GS911 to the latest version of firmware

What steps did you take in attempting to configure the GS911 WiFi interface ?

Hello Wayne,

Both the GS-911 WiFi Utility and Interface are "up to date" when I click the Check for updates icon.

When I click "Show device details" I noted the MAC address of the device and entered it in both the MAC Filtering Rules and DHCP Reservations List, as I have done with all my other devices (laptops, smartphone, printer) that all work wirelessly with my router.

Having viewed the Configure your GS-911 WiFi Youtube video, I get as far as "Connecting" in the IP Address but it goes no further.

My Power Status LED is flashing correctly.

Also note that the P2P works with my Smartphone.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »
OK, I have no idea re YouTube video, dont bother with such things, they are usually amateur offerings, not my cup of tea

Understood entering MAC to reserve an IP No, I usually reserve a No myself, I take it you reserved a No in the Router IP No range ?

Not certain why you would have needed to use the MAC filtering though

On the GS911 WiFi, you would normally connect P2P, tell it to find SSID with scan for networks, select the right one, enter PassPhrase and save it, reboot and it should connect. The other option is to manually enter SSID and Passphrase and save it, reboot it and it should connect DHCP

I have seen some router firmware which fails to respond properly to connection attempts from embedded devices, not often but some do

BMWRGS

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »
OK, I have no idea re YouTube video, dont bother with such things, they are usually amateur offerings, not my cup of tea

These videos are produced by GS-911 and not some amateur offering.

Understood entering MAC to reserve an IP No, I usually reserve a No myself, I take it you reserved a No in the Router IP No range ?

Yes, well within the range.

I am totally baffled considering all the other items I have running though my router.

BMWRGS

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »
Bingo!     Problem solved.

I was able to log into my router as the administrator and make the necessary changes (MAC address etc), but...

It was a "Network password" issue. I changed it some time ago and I was still using the previous password which of course would not work.

Thank you for your efforts.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 03:05:08 AM »
Ah it is often the simple things that get us all at times, including me  ;D, pleased you sorted it out

Re the Youtube video, thanks, I was not aware it was a Hexcode Video, they will probably have some amusement at my expense then if they ever notice my comment  ;D

BMWRGS

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 04:05:36 AM »
Re the Youtube video, thanks, I was not aware it was a Hexcode Video.

They have five videos out at the moment. I copied them to my hard drive for future reference should I suffer from brain fade one day.

http://www.hexcode.co.za/video