Author Topic: I think I messed up my new GS911 before I even got started.  (Read 9624 times)

mag00

My gs911 wifi showed up today, so I dug up an old netbook running windows xp premium.

I hadn't used this netbook in a long time and a bit rusty on windows machine. Also my internet connection at home is beyond slow, so I went to the library for the downloads and setup.

I couldn't get the registration due to opera browser popping up and not working with the gs911. Windows update kept hogging up the laptop resource and I could not get it to stop. Finally after a task manager episode and going in control panel got that to quit bugging me and got the IE to open default for registration.

Registration went good and firmware update seemed to be good, but I didn't set up the wifi network at this time.

As mentioned, firmware seemed to update proper, but the button to check for updates was still clickable and I did of course click, and it updated again, still no errors.

Everything seemed to go as planned, but when I hook into the bike I get nothing.

in the utility v1510.3  tge IP address says connecting and that is all, never connects. If I click configure wifi I get nothing and nothing in the device list.

I created a new network and it is waiting for new users, and have no way to get the gs911 wifi to find it to connect.

I tried uninstalling the utility and installing, didn't help.

Anyway I do not need the wifi per se, and at this time would like the cable connect to work. Eventually I want to use the android, so I will need the wifi configured proper.

So how do I get this to configure? What am I missing?

Thanks

mag00

Re: I think I messed up my new GS911 before I even got started.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:36:13 AM »
After some messing around, it looks like I am connected. I can't seem to find how to read the bike now.

mag00

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:03:25 AM »
Finally got the browser going.  Too tired to go try a scan.

Tomorrow  :)

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:56:21 AM »
Now I understand the post you made elsewhere, I can see you are learning, but windows is giving you grief  ;D

mag00

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:29:20 PM »
Yes, windows and I go way back. My first 386, Packard Bell, bricked 2 in a row, went to mac and never looked back. Every time I used a windows machine, I was having troubles. Eventually I did go learn windows, and even worked for a year refurbishing XP machines. Got pretty good at debuggering em too.

Alas, I am far more happy playing with motorcycles  :)

And when I see on the GS911 vehicle screen all the BMW and then Husqvarna I just smile. You and I know what that is about.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »
Yes, sweet seeing the Husky models there, good to see after all the work, many thanks to yourself roping me in :-\ and Sussurf for trusting me, silly boy  :o

mag00

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 11:58:00 PM »
Well now the fun starts. I posted a bit over at the Cafe, but to keep that topic clean,  I have some issues that need to be ironed out. Hopefully you or someone can help me sort our my computer maze.

Here is where I am at. I run an intel macbook 2gz core 2 duo with 10.7.5

This is not good enough for the hex software, so I have parallels running windows 7 enterprise.

I'm posting using this setup, so I do have internet working.

About my internet, I run boost mobile with Pdanet and a usb cable. I have 2 usb ports, so I can use the usb on the gs911.

I can hook up the gs911 and navigate to 10.0.0.1 and get the basic menu.

I can also open the hex software and click register and get my info to pull up.

My conclusion is...why won't it work? aaaaagh

I get a not connected to internet when I click on the menu from the 10.0.0.1 page.

So I need to setup some sort of network within my mac using the windows or mac as a server???? Is this what I am missing?

I have at different times seen the gs911 tool pop up in the wireless window, but for some odd reason, on the windows side in paralells, it is not showing any wireless connections, just home or work networks and a message saying not connected to interenet.

That is what I think I need to fix.

Any Ideas?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:43:17 AM »
The GS911 is in ADHOC mode hence the 10.0.0.1 IP No and the MAC is connecting to it via WiFi, the GS911 will not have access to the Inernet

Considering the way you are connecting to the internet via mobile phone only and tethering to the MAC, perhaps you need to simplify things

1/ Only use the MAC to run Parallels and use the PC app completely off line

2/ Use the Mobile Phone with the GS911 connected to it via the WiFi hotspot on the phone to do updates and use cloud services

mag00

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 08:45:59 AM »
I really don't want to us wifi.  Is there a way?

I used the parallels because the mac is my internet and it is older and I cannot run the hex software.

The gs911 must be talking to something online, as it checks registration. So why can't I get the rest of the functions?

In a perfect situation, where would I find the reset service reminder function?

The screens on the hex site don't look nothing like I have. So then are you saying when I am at the 10.0.0.1 screen, that is not where I should be?

I  looked areount online, and I can set up an ad hoc wireless, will that work? That's where the mac and windows running in parallels would be interesting. I tried setting up something, and got some warnings like "you need a server or windows enterprise or ultimate" I have 7 enterprise on the parallels.

I also have an Asus, but I use it more for solid works and other productivity software and really never hook it up online. I kindof want to keep it that way if at all possible. The netbook or parallels, for windows stuff.

My android does not have wifi hotspot, it don't work unless I root the phone.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:53:43 AM by mag00 »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 10:00:50 AM »
There is a time and a place for both wired connection and WiFi

Out on the road off line Adhoc mode from a phone is handy for fault finding and is used to start/stop internal real time logging, in adhoc mode the phone/mac/tablet is logging into the GS911 WiFi hot spot, hence the 10.0.01 IP No

In the workshop windows with parallels on the MAC is handy to use the PC app via USB, if the parallels Windows Virtual Machine is properly configured it should have access to the internet via the MAC host and the phone tether to do updates/registration etc

What you would need to do for the MAC to give the GS911 access to the web via the GS911 WiFi interface is set up a WiFi hot spot with OSX control panel/internet sharing, then configure the GS911 to connect to that hotspot and save it so it can access it in the future. Configuration can be done either via WiFi in adhoc mode or from the GS911 Windows WiFi utility
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:02:57 AM by WayneC »

mag00

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 04:56:15 PM »
Thanks Wayne, that makes sense, but not really. I guess that is the way it has to work with the tool, vs how I want it to work.

Anyway, the mac as a network was my next attempt. I was snooping around and found all the places to configure that setup, just I have never setup a network. You would think after all these years an all the computers I run, I would have don that by now. But sadly, I still fire up individual machines, zip stick files, plug and change printers, (funny how mac and windows don't work on the same small HP laser printers)

I imagine there is more mystery to it than actual technical work. Once I figure it out I should be good. I asked the neighbor whose spouse is a network tech to help, but have not heard back. So I guess I will go for a ride today. I need to decide if I'm keeping the street tires or going to a more 50/50 tire.

Somebody has to do it  :P

mag00

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »
Got it working proper with cables. I removed the first download and re did the process using the first download installer link. I got a different version of the 911 interface and that works. 1603.1

After your info, and other input (CH) I figured it had to be the download and configuration of that. Since there was issues with the first try and interference from Windows Update and firewall, just felt better trying with a fresh install.

I checked out the android app and was going to get it, but they wanted 10 bucks out of me. Don't we get a free app?

All is good on this end now, and was able to get into the service menus and reset adaptive params, and found the reset service reminder. I will need some free time to fully explore it.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 03:40:22 AM »
Good to hear you have it sorted, i have the Android App on my tablet but I have never put a credit card into my Google set up so I cant have paid $10, it was so long ago now though it is hard to remember what I did