Author Topic: Where is the prompt to add a new VIN  (Read 16700 times)

pharme

Where is the prompt to add a new VIN
« on: April 05, 2016, 12:26:23 AM »
Hi, so here goes my first post, and very noob question.
Recently purchased a used GS-911 USB Enthusiast (Yellow). When connected with my R1150GSA and usb hooked to my Mac comp (bootcamp Windows 10), I don't seem to see the prompt to enter a new VIN. I can see from the 'About' button of the VIN list (3VINs previously entered), so could someone tell me where is the click to add a new VIN?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Where is the prompt to add a new VIN
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 02:42:18 AM »
There is no button as such, when you go into a maintenance function for the first time it will pop up a warning that the new VIN will be added

pharme

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 03:12:56 AM »
Thanks WayneC,

Can you elaborate what is maintenance function? If its one of the controller eg in Realtime values and perform a scan on either controller ie TPS, i did not get any prompt for VIN to be keyed in. Also another leading question, would a non-VINed GS911 see lesser in function/operation than one with?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:26:31 AM »
There is no difference in functionality between a Pro and enthusiast version (you call VIN'ed) only the VIN limit on the enthusiast

Real time values, read fault codes, auto scan are all items which are able to be used with as many machines as you like as they are emergency functionality

The component testing, adaption resets etc are maintenance functions and it is only on those detailed ECU routines the VIN limit kicks in and you are warned/prompted that it is about to add the VIN to the list

You will understand it better once you select an ECU and go into the sub menu's for output tests etc

pharme

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 06:48:45 AM »
There is no difference in functionality between a Pro and enthusiast version (you call VIN'ed) only the VIN limit on the enthusiast

Was sth else but i gathered from your answer that with only VIN logged in will one get to use the maintenance function.

Real time values, read fault codes, auto scan are all items which are able to be used with as many machines as you like as they are emergency functionality

The component testing, adaption resets etc are maintenance functions and it is only on those detailed ECU routines the VIN limit kicks in and you are warned/prompted that it is about to add the VIN to the list

You will understand it better once you select an ECU and go into the sub menu's for output tests etc

I obviously have missed this, will get around it. Thanks again WayneC for the lead.

pharme

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 06:09:47 PM »
The strange thing is that i seem to be able to activate the function tests (start and stop)like TPS adjustment, fuel pump relay, tank venting, hall sensor signal (this one not so sure) without receiving any prompting to key in VIN numbers. I have checked in the 'About' menu, my VIN has not been registered yet. I dont know to what extent with a registered VIN would these functions perform. Should i raise this to hexcode office?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 03:19:08 AM »
If you can do the component test functions and it has not registered your VIN then it is acting as a Pro version, which PC software version are you using ?

pharme

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 03:31:17 AM »
Here's my specs:

MacBook booted with Bootcamp Windows 10
USB connected with Yellow GS-911USB
on R1150GS Adventure.

I dont think I am in the PRO version as the About screen has the invite for the upgrade.
Can you tell me a little what service maintenance can a registered VIN account do where a non registered one cannot? Can a non registered piece do what I said in earlier mail?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 03:36:21 AM »
I asked which version of GS911 PC software you were using but I dont see it in your spec, it has me intrigued

pharme

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 03:48:09 AM »
ahhh, yes.

GS-911 version: 1603.1 Datapack version: 4.1
Firmware version: 0.21.C

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 03:54:49 AM »
OK thanks I can see you are using the latest PC software version

Can you tell me a little what service maintenance can a registered VIN account do where a non registered one cannot?

There is no difference in functionality of tests on Pro or enthusiast so the fact you can do the tests without it registering a VIN is the only issue and is odd

Peet Badenhorst

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:12:53 AM »
Hi pharme
The R1150GS bikes have the MA2.4 engine controller which is too old to give a VIN number. Hex therefore provide service functionality for those bikes 'for free'. It does not count toward your VIN limit because the bike cannot provide a VIN through software.
I hope that clarifies.
Peet

Alexm1

Where is the prompt to add a new VIN
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 12:05:28 AM »
Hi pharme
The R1150GS bikes have the MA2.4 engine controller which is too old to give a VIN number. Hex therefore provide service functionality for those bikes 'for free'. It does not count toward your VIN limit because the bike cannot provide a VIN through software.
I hope that clarifies.
Peet

Pete, is the same true of a 2003 K1200GT?
I have been using the gs911 for some years but I have not seen the VIN registered.
Alex.
Alex

pharme

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 12:40:23 AM »
Hi Peet, thanks for stopping by. That clears up all. WayneC too, thanks.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 03:07:20 AM »

Pete, is the same true of a 2003 K1200GT?
I have been using the gs911 for some years but I have not seen the VIN registered.
Alex.

I just checked and the K1200GT is also MA 2.4 so yes that would be the same, you learn something new every day  ;D