Author Topic: Windows 10 Software Crashes During Firmware Update  (Read 14731 times)

DanHP4

Windows 10 Software Crashes During Firmware Update
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:44:51 PM »
After the first install of the latest 1.003 GS911 software download program, software crashed several times on my new Windows 10 PC still not running their software and still crashing even in safe mode.  After rebooting, I was able to download the main software V1603.1, but it will not run at all.

I also tried my old XP computer with the 1.002 version and it ran but returned firmware corrupt errors before quitting. 

Device is useless so far and may return.  Questions:

1. Anyone else had these type problems right out of the box?

2. Can I expect more software or hardware problems over the long term life cycle?

3. Is there an alternate device that works out of the box?

Just need to remove the rev limiter on my 2014 HP4 and reset the oil change.  Thanks! 

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Windows 10 Software Crashes During Firmware Update
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:25:53 AM »
Welcome to the forum

1/ No, first time I have heard of such a problem

2/ No the GS911 is normally very stable

3/ None I am aware of

Lodge a support ticket with Hexcode  http://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1

DanHP4

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 12:49:35 AM »
I tested the unit on both a Win 10 and XP computer with the HEX downloader software running.  Both PCs had interface communication failures reporting possible firmware corruption.  Trouble shoot was with the virus protection off still failed comms and also running in safe mode failed. Downloaded the downloader and reinstalled a few time too.  My PC ports and internet connect was SAT too.  I deal with this stuff a lot on the job as a systems engineer.  HEX trouble ticket is open and this looks like a new event.

I did find a few reports on the HEX web site of bad units being replaced and fixing the unit's comms issue like this.  I sent in a request to the Amazon vendor for a return refund.  All the local BMW dealerships are a hour or more driving out, but I will get another unit from them to lower the return risk and cost.  What a nightmare I was hoping to complete to oil change and go riding this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:54:26 AM by DanHP4 »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:01:18 AM »
Surprised it was an amazon purchase, can you provide a link to them ?

I also assumed it was a GS911 WiFi, can you confirm that it is ?

DanHP4

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:04:56 AM »
It was a USB model they upgraded to a USB Bluetooth model.  Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0075QXQ5I?refRID=74749PNK9WHD8514PDGW&ref_=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_7

HARDCORE RACING sent it and it is a BEEMERSHOP unit.  They did call me and want the unit back.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:08:20 AM by DanHP4 »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 01:17:46 AM »
OK, understood re Amazon and that it is the bluetooth unit, my mistake in thinking the WiFi when you mentioned firmware

It is the genuine unit then, Beemershop is US distributor and has a very good reputation re support

Does sound like you have a very rare instance of a faulty unit, sorry to hear of it

I also work in IT here in Oz so I am used to seeing failures of gear but all the GS911 are usually so reliable

DanHP4

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:28:24 AM »
Thanks I wanted this to work too. I have about a dozen software log file I can send you.  What them?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:27 AM »
Send the log files to Hexcode, I am sure they will want to know the contents, the guys are pretty good and responsive

It is rare for me to say with other suppliers here but Hexcode have been a pleasure to work with on the beta side and the WiFi

DanHP4

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 07:58:38 AM »
 Got this back from the help desk below*.  My comments (a) Kind of looks like Win 10 is timing out the HEX server connection during firmware updates.  Sounds to me like that would corrupt the unit.  I though the safe best practice from 20 years ago was (1) download the file (2) verify the file, (3) check for virus, and (4) then run the file. 
(b) I also tried to server URL given and got the message the Certificate was invalid" warning.  After hitting the continue option, the page did load.   same message with IE and FF browsers.
(c) All the log files about a dozen were set to help the HEX root cause analysis for the software.
(d) The GS911 USB/Bluetooth is on its way back the BeemerShop for hardware analysis.

Don't Give Up The Ship! 

*Help desk Progress:
"...am still looking into the crash problem, but from the logs I see that the application is sometimes unable to find the update server for a required firmware update. There have been some successful connections to our update server from your machine, though. After my machine recently upgraded to Windows 10, I have experienced that the cable network connection stops working sporadically, and had to switch to a Wi-Fi network for now, which seems stable. Do you perhaps see similar failures for your network connection?
|
| To test the connection to our update server, you can paste this link in your web browser and see if the page loads correctly:
|
| https://upgrades.hexcode.co.za/upgrades/"
|

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 08:11:20 AM »
Dan, good to see you put in the support ticket and the rapid response, both Beemershop and Hexcode have well deserved  good reputations on service

I have done many upgrades as part of the beta testing and have not had one failure so you unfortunately drew the short straw, I did the updates to that new release version in the last few weeks and if anyone should have had failures it should have been me as we have major undersea cable failures here in Oz at the moment.

DanHP4

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
Copy that they are working hard on the resolution.    WISH BMW WAS MORE TRUSTING OF THEIR CUSTOMERS and allow an easy reset of the oil service in the bikes computer.  My Ford van requires just turning on the key and pressing the brake and gas pedal down to reset the oil service reminder.