Author Topic: GS 1150 Adventure Model 2003  (Read 10258 times)

kjhunt

GS 1150 Adventure Model 2003
« on: February 02, 2016, 04:04:01 AM »
Good morning one and all. OK this is going to sound like a silly question, but never mind. I have a GS1150 Adventure bought 2003. I need to change the front brake pads along with bleeding the system. My question is how do you remove the brake pads? I have taken out the safety clip but can see no way to remove the retaining pin as only one side is "open" and it cannot be pushed through from the other side of the calliper as there is no hole.
I have included some pictures. The rear brake no problem.
Any answers please would be grateful.
Many thanks Ken Hunt.
PS seems the pictures could not be sent, sorry

schuppi

Re: GS 1150 Adventure Model 2003
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »
Good morning.

Different VIN >> different ABS >> different calipers!!

• Remove the brake caliper.
• Remove keeper from retaining pin (1).
• Drive out the retaining pin (1) from the wheel side.
• Remove brake pads by pulling downwards.

retaining pin maybe one to turn out with a "torx screw driver" or one to hammering out.
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

kjhunt

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 04:36:36 AM »
Hello there and thank you for your reply. I am hoping I can send some pictures of the brake calliper as the illustrations you used are not what I have on my bike. I have looked at the retaining pin and there is no sign that it can be unscrew as its just a flat surface at the end. As for pushing the pin out from the other side of the -calliper that too cannot be done as there is no hole there for me to use anything to push the pin through. So how its removed I have no idea. If the picture gets through to you, one is of the side of the calliper which shows where the pin was pushed in, and the other is the top of the calliper showing a f
different "spring" on top that has a small screw at each end to hold it in place. Removing the safety clip was where the spring rises up with a small hump and it was to one side.
Ken..

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »
Hi Ken

As far as I can remember, the metal spring plate that is held on by the two small screws is what hods the pin in place.  Remove the plate, and the pin can just be slid out of the way to release the pads.

schuppi

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:33:50 PM »
YES Jughead that is right. good job :)

Built after 09/2002 EVO Brake with Integral ABS
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:35:41 PM by schuppi »
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

kjhunt

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »
OK thank you for that info. will give that a try tomorrow morning and see what happens. Will advise you if it works. Thanks again..
Ken.

kjhunt

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 03:34:45 AM »
Hi well managed to get the spring clip off and can see the retaining pin but its rock solid and will not budge at all. Either its been pushed in too far and has burred over or just plain of rust hold in tight.  So no idea on how to remove it at all. Its had a fair soaking of DW40 sprayed into it since yesterday but still will not move an inch. Any thoughts apart from cutting it off and buying a new pin.
Ken...

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:51 AM »
Don't cut it off! The remaining bits will be that much more difficult to remove.

Grip it with a vice-grip and try to rotate it in position.  If it still will not budge cut a shallow notch across it with an Angle grinder and the use the edge of a flat punch in the notch to drive it outward.  Hope this makes sense.

Correction!!!

Check to see if the pin has a slot on the end that you can see.  I have a feeling the pin has a thread on the other end and needs to be unscrewed.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:23:55 AM by Jughead »

kjhunt

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 08:04:16 AM »
Hi and good afternoon. The part you scrubbed out was what I did. I found a pair of small vice grips and the head was small enough to slide between the two pads. Gripped the pin tight and rotated it several times till it became free to move about and that was it, it just slid out OK. It was a rust and much that held it there fast. I will have to order a new one as its too rusty. The other side was no problem again did much the same thing and it just fell out. So problem solved.
Like to thank you for your help. Have a great day and weekend.
Bye for now Ken..

Jughead

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
[emoji106]