Author Topic: TPMS sensor wake up  (Read 13496 times)

blouw

TPMS sensor wake up
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:14:01 PM »
I have another set of wheels that I bought used for my 2011 R1200GSA and they have sensors in them. I am trying to program them to my bike and have not had much luck getting them to wake up. I have read the good write up under Techinfo on hexcode site and am trying the manual method, with no luck. I have a GS-911 WiFi, using the USB interface and set it to learn mode function. Set A shows me the existing ones and their IDs, but when I try to learn the 'new' ones in set B it never finds anything. I have tried numerous times to let out the air, re-inflate and repeat many times. As a test, I tried  mounting the wheel, riding the bike and the then trying to learn them. I even removed the tires and sensors to see whether the ID is on the sensor, but it isn't.
I did try the same manual method with another known working sensor of a friend's R1200GS and it didn't work either.

My questions:
1) Has anybody been successful in waking up the sensors using the manual method or do I need to buy one of the Ateq tools?
2) Is there any way to check whether the sensor is good without the tool.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:26:27 PM by blouw »
Brian Louw
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
2013 K1600GT
2011 R1200GSA

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
Re: TPMS sensor wake up
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 03:35:11 PM »
I have another set of wheels that I bought used for my 2011 R1200GSA and they have sensors in them. I am trying to program them to my bike and have not had much luck getting them to wake up. I have read the good write up under Techinfo on hexcode site and am trying the manual method, with no luck. I have a GS-911 WiFi, using the USB interface and set it to learn mode function. Set A shows me the existing ones and their IDs, but when I try to learn the 'new' ones in set B it never finds anything. I have tried numerous times to let out the air, re-inflate and repeat many times. As a test, I tried  mounting the wheel, riding the bike and the then trying to learn them. I even removed the tires and sensors to see whether the ID is on the sensor, but it isn't.
I did try the same manual method with another known working sensor of a friend's R1200GS and it didn't work either.

My questions:
1) Has anybody been successful in waking up the sensors using the manual method or do I need to buy one of the Ateq tools?
2) Is there any way to check whether the sensor is good without the tool.

I have the Ateq tool and it works a treat.  Any BMW dealer should be able to wake the sensors and read the ID.  If push comes to shove, send them to me and I will get the IDs for you.  Then it's just a matter of setting up the IDs manually.

blouw

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:14:18 PM »
Thanks for the offer.
I opened a ticket with Hexcode to see whether there are any known problems in learning the ID with manually waking up the sensors. I duct taped the sensors, one at a time, to a mountain bike wheel and spun the pedals to more than 20mph. Still no luck. I also mounted the rear wheel with a sensor on the bike and ran it up to 40mph on the center stand. Surely that would wake the sensor too?
Waiting fro reply from Hexcode.
Brian Louw
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
2013 K1600GT
2011 R1200GSA

blouw

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 04:29:51 AM »
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a used VT30 tool on eBay. Solved the problem. Thanks to Jughead  and Hexcode  for the help.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brian Louw
San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
2013 K1600GT
2011 R1200GSA