Author Topic: Newbie in trouble  (Read 5877 times)

ihmsakiwi

Newbie in trouble
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
I have my first GS911 in transit to me at the moment to help fix an undiagnosed intermittent issue on my GS1150.

I am having trouble saving the initial downloader file. Norton keeps deleting it saying it has the following;

Updated:  February 15, 2012 3:15:47 PMType:  OtherRisk Impact:  HighSystems Affected:  Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Behavior
WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories.

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.
Antivirus Protection Dates
Initial Rapid Release version October 2, 2014 revision 022
Latest Rapid Release version October 2, 2014 revision 022
Initial Daily Certified version March 27, 2009 revision 005
Latest Daily Certified version April 20, 2010 revision 024
Initial Weekly Certified release date April 1, 2009

Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.

Please help.
Peter

Xchallenge

Re: Newbie in trouble
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:29:06 AM »
Disable the reputation-based malware detection of Norton that is causing the problem and report the inconvinence to Symantec.

ihmsakiwi

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:36:55 AM »
OK, GS-911 arrived today.
I have downloaded successfully the "downloader" file. Norton ....WHAT A PAIN IN THE #$%@!!
 Now the installer programme fails to load with the following message;

Error opening file for writing
c/program files (x86) GS-911\ GS-911.exe

Any suggestions?

ihmsakiwi

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:05:25 AM »
Sorry just to clarify; I have downloaded the installer onto the PC and I am having issues now uploading in to the GS-911.

Peter

ihmsakiwi

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:50:58 AM »
Norton has to go!!
I probably wasted nearly two hours either in their live chat room or on the phone to their help desk today.
Finally got someone who got me up and going. The programme would download and then disappear again with a pop-up saying deleted due to the Reputation protocol.
I have now successfully run one diagnostics thru via blue-tooth with my Samsung Tablet. No current issues which I suppose is good, however, I do have an intermittent problem that I was hoping it would help solve. I assume I will need to take the 911 with me now and run a diagnostic when the issue next occurs.

Next mission; to find out where the collected data is so I can check whether all is well???

Peter