Author Topic: R1200RT 2010 Not Starting  (Read 17286 times)

Colin Edwards

R1200RT 2010 Not Starting
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
All

Background
Brought bike out of storage recently and it fell off the side stand!  After many expletives I started her up and she fired first time, I ran the engine for around five minutes while I checked the tyres etc.. Switched off for a few minutes and it has been dead ever since.  Although I can turn the engine over if I short the starter relay, the engine will not fire.  To cut a long story short, after much testing I reckoned it was the RH switch gear and replaced the unit.  The battery was four years old so it has also been replaced.

The starter relay works but I am getting no power reading on my multi meter at the solenoid side when I operate the starter (perhaps it needs 12v to get across the switch copper circuit board), hence all the bodywork and the fuel tank is off to get access to the wiring harness and controllers.  The GS911 is not giving me any fault codes apart from open circuits for the front lights.  I have now checked all the wiring from the starter switch, kill switch, starter relay, sidestand switch to the ECU and they are all good.

Any suggestions?  Does anyone know if there are any "fatal" circuits which I should examine?  According to the circuit diagram there are no fuses on the engine management system.  I read that some serious faults get over ridden until the user gets home and engine is switched off.  I have checked the plugs and they seem wet although there was no spark so my issue appears to be electrical.  HELP!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:15:33 PM by Colin Edwards »
CE

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
Re: R10 Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 09:05:09 PM »
What is an R10?

Colin Edwards

Re: R10 Not Starting
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 11:13:54 PM »
R10 = R1200RT Year 2010.
CE

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
Re: R1200RT 2010 Not Starting
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:09:56 AM »
Don't know the RT, but assuming it is similar to the other models starting is controlled by

Gear position indicator
Side stand switch
Clutch switch
Starter switch

All are inputs to the engine management module.  The engine management module in turn drives the starter relay allowing the starter to do its job.  Engine management also controls spark.

Colin Edwards

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply Marchyman. 

I've tested the first two items; as neutral appears on the instrument cluster I assumed that was ok but will check; I am going to have a look at the EWS again even although this did was not indicated by a fault code.  I am also going to have a look at the fuel gauge system in case it's telling the ECU there is no fuel.

Thanks again.
CE

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 08:23:13 PM »
if the fuel level is showing incorrect it will NOT be the reason.. there is no "Don't start if too little fuel" function as far as I'm aware.. so you're off the hook there..

look at the other variables in the engine controller.. 
 - view the realtime values of the Engine
 - start logging them...
 - then hit the starter button... (hold it for a while)

now stop the log and share the CSV with us...

we can then compare it to other bikes...
(or you can do that too...)

Also see our Tech section for more EWS info:
 http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/ews
(you will see that we state teh following: "The Fault Code diagnosis: According to several dealerships and dealer techs we spoke to, a faulty ring antenna raises a Fault code within the BMS-K(P) only 50% of the time..."

also, if the battery is too flat, the ECU will impede the start... (but you should see that on one of the realtime values..)

Pls post a COMPLETE Autoscan...

best
Stephan

currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Colin Edwards

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 10:07:01 PM »
StephenT
Thanks for your interest. I attach the autoscan output and the real time cvs file for the engine.  I note that the real time information says "Engine safety cut-out (BMSK) ON".  It also says "Kill switch STOP".  I have changed the left hand switch gear and I tested the electrical continuity at the switch and at the ECU plug for start/run/stop/grips/seat and all is OK.
Thanks
CE

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »
While looking at the realtime values, cycle the kill switch several times.. it should read "RUN"... if it reads stop, the engine will NOT start (i.e. Kill sw not in RUN position)

If it does not change, it could be a faulty switch or wiring between switch and ECU

let us know what you find

best
Stephan
currently riding:

Colin Edwards

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks Stephan
I have cycled the switch - no change to real time values. I have tested the switch itself using a multimeter - all functions work.  When the bike was in bits I tested the wiring between the switch plug and the ECU plug - all readings were ok.  I believe there is a fault with the ECU so it goes to the dealer next week!  Will give you an update when fixed so that we can all learn.
Regards
CE

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »
keep us posted...

I have never heard of this fault as a result of the ECU... don't get me wrong.. it most certainly is possible... just highly unlikely...

what you can do is unplug the harness from the ECU and test the pin from the Kill switch.. that way you know the harness is either broken or ok... remember to move the harness while checking... sometimes there is a short or dis but only when under strain or moving etc..

best
Stephan
currently riding:

bikecrazy5

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
hi
you say that your bike fell off the side stand... have you checked in real time values if the side stand switch is activating and De-activating because it is a cut off switch as well

Colin Edwards

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Hi
Thanks for your post.  Yes I did ensure the real time values changed with the stand in different positions, I also stripped down the switch as well!  I have subsequently had the bike at Allan Jeffries in Shipley, they were baffled at first but have traced the fault to a break in one of the wires in the harness close to the ECU.  When I get the machine back next week, I will run the diagnostic checks on the GS911 and compare these with the ones immediately before I had the bike collected and share with all.

Thank for your interest.
CE

Colin Edwards

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 01:02:30 PM »
"End of Saga" - bike now fixed and running!  Garage reported a break in the kill switch wire to the DMU.  Looking at the GS911 output for real time values it indicated:

Kill Switch "Stop", this now reads "Run"
Engine Safety Cut Out (of BMSK) "ON" now reads "OFF".

In summary, the GS911 did detect the fault but finding the fix was not quite as easy.  I had checked all the wires but when faults are intermittent then it's a nightmare.  The BMW technician took 8 hours but fortunately they did not charge anything like this - who said BMW service was a rip off?  I suppose there are some good guys out there.

Thanks to all.
CE

Haakon

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 11:10:45 PM »
Colin, you are one of the lucky ones, too many owners would have to pay ......
Suggestion: make sure they know how grateful you are and let others know of "your" workshop/ mechanic :-)   
2000 F650-GS