Author Topic: fault code 10444  (Read 10001 times)

alandelph

fault code 10444
« on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
BMW R1200RT 2005 starter button will not work. Plugged in the GS911and ran an auto scan. Result was fault code 10444 Fuse activated for component block 3 starter relay, (EWS) ring aerial, ignition coils, injectors)
Stripped the switch down and all looks fine, took the Tupperware off and fuel tank and tried a new switch gear in and all was working fine, Rebuilt all back up and started the bike all fine. plugged in the GS 911 back on and ran the auto scan and cleared all fault codes.

Tonight, went out to start the bike and the same happened starter button will not work and the fault code 10444 has returned.

Any ideas to what the problem is ?

Regards

Alan

beermonster

Re: fault code 10444
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 03:29:26 PM »
What about testing or substituting the starter relay, may be sticking?

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 10:29:37 AM »
hi Alan,

Yes, as Marc, suggested, look at all the listed components.. the power output to all those is supplied by a single output from the BMSK and if
any of them are shorted (either busted component or wiring short, then the output will be switched off...

When you have this fault code, unplug ONE ignition coil, cycle the ignition, read the fault codes again.. if the fault is still there, then it was not that coil.. Next uplug the next coil, cycle the ignition again and read the fault codes again... Keep repeating this with every component listed (each injector, ring antenna, and your starter relay) until you find the culprit...

best,
Stephan

alandelph

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:42:00 AM »
Hi all, and thank you for your replies. I have done the elimination procedure as Marc and Stephan have described to no avail. Did each component and then recycle the ignition  all to no avail it came up with fault code 10444.    The bike started and ran and we thought all was good. Refitted all the Tupperware and thought I would go for a wee run, Bike would not start again.The next step was to take all the Tupperware off again as well as the petrol tank off as I suspected the switch gear, did an autoscan and code 10444 came up again, cleared the fault and this message came up "some fault codes could not be erased - this means the fault is still present in the system" disconnected the plug for the starter switch gear and cycled the ignition cleared fault codes and did a read fault codes  "BMS-K no fault codes found"  Plugged the switch gear back in turned the ignition back on and it brought the fault code back up, code 10444. then tried a new switch gear on the bike "same problems" Tested the relay with terminals 85 and 86 and the relay was clicking away, I presume that it is working ok I have also tried a new ring antenna as per video on the hexcode website.box of matches and a gallon of petrol would be the next step. I am stumped at this moment  Regards Alan

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:22:58 AM »
hi Alan

Are you looking at just whether the fault code shows up, or at the actual status of the fault code...?  (i.e. fault is currently present or not)..

Keep in mind that:
1. if the fault is not currently present, this procedure is pointless, as you want to eliminate the culprits by checking when the status changes from currently present to NOT present...
2. keep in mind when the ECU would be doing a test to determine that fault code state... typically, the coils are checked at ignition ON... however, the injectors are only checked when the engine start cranking... i.e. if I unplug an injector.. (that should cause a fault), but if I then switch on the ignition, I still will NOT see any fault code related to the injector, UNTILL I start cranking the engine, when the ECU is trying to inject fuel... ONLY THEN will it determine that the one injector is "faulty"

...same goes for the starter relay... As the Ecu talkes to the key in the ignition, we can safely assume that the ring antenna/ EWS is powered and used at ignition on...

best,
Stephan

alandelph

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
Disconnected plug for starter switch gear and cleared all faults

Fault Codes Report

GS-911 version: 1303.3 Datapack version:1.2 Serial Number: GS60042207 Registered to: Alan Annan Pitkeathly
Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 11:43:55

Motorcycle VIN: WB10368015ZM08473

10444: Fuse activated for component Ignition Supply (starter relay, Immo (EWS) ring antenna, ignition coils, injectors)
   This problem occurred once.
   The fault is not present now.

Re-connected the switch gear plug and did a “read fault codes” resulting in

Fault Codes Report

GS-911 version: 1303.3 Datapack version:1.2 Serial Number: GS60042207 Registered to: Alan Annan Pitkeathly
Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 11:46:45

10444: Fuse activated for component Ignition Supply (starter relay, Immo (EWS) ring antenna, ignition coils, injectors)
   This fault occured 2 times.
   The fault is currently present.

Disconnected the relay and the plug for the starter switch gear:

Fault Codes Report

Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 11:55:25

This fault occured 2 times.
   The fault is not present now.

Put switch gear plug back in with the relay out and did a cycle:

Read fault codes

“Some fault codes could not be erased- this means the fault is still present in the system”
Recycled and disconnected the switch gear with the relay out:
Fault Codes Report
Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 12:04:06
No fault codes found
Tried another switch gear in with the relay out and did a check for fault codes:
Fault Codes Report
Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 12:08:35
Recycled with switch gear plug disconnected and relay back in:
Fault Codes Report
Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 12:18:08
BMS-K
No fault codes found
Put switchgear back in and the relay connected
Fault Codes Report
Date: 25/05/2013 Time: 13:47:33
Took all the components that were coming up with and transferred the items over to a 2012 RT and they all worked on the donor bike. 
So I kind of thought that it was the right side coil or broken wire to that coil.
And started looking around that area, disconnecting all the plugs and connectors to everything in that area. Only to find that all the plug/connectors were very dirty inside them.
Cleaned them all, put it all back together and it started.
Thank you all for your input, and the support from the MEN @ GS911 HEXCODES

Regards

Alan

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:23 PM »
Alan, I've made a reply on the email forum...

but for everyone else's sake, I did not see exact and precises elimination (unless certain sections were left out of the writeup)..

basically you don't mention whether you try and start the bike between every test, i.e. force the started to have to work, so you can be sure the ECU is making a real test... and I also don't see how you got from the starter to the right side coil...?

When moving parts from the donor bike to another, I would suggest one part at a time, to eliminate... i.e. ONE variable at a time..

best,
Stephan

alandelph

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 05:02:20 PM »
Hi Stephan, the switch gear referred to is the right hand side (starter/kill, heated grips, indicator, and cancel) switch. (I had a spare)
All the items that came up with the 10444 error code were all tested individually and also fitted to the donor bike one piece at a time.
I did the cycles and always tested the starter button at every stage. the results were coming up with one of the following:

"The fault is currently present"
"The fault is not present now"
"Some fault codes could not be erased- this means the fault is still present in the system"
"No fault codes found"

When I did disconnect the plug for the switch gear, cleared the faults, cycled the ignition, the "No fault codes found" turned off the ignition, reconnected the plug turned on the ignition, tried to start (nothing) and did a "read fault codes" it always came up with:
10444 "the fault is not present"

"the fault is currently present"

and with the latter when you tried to clear the fault codes   "Some fault codes could not be erased- this means the fault is still present in the system"

When working in the area of the right hand side of the bike in the coil area was when you tried the start button in would give a short turn then nothing happens and back to 10444 fault code.

I hope that has more information that previous post.

Regards

Alan

Haakon

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:25:35 AM »
PLZ forgive me if I am "way off".
I do not understand why you focus on the "right hand switchgear"?
You have:  10444: Fuse activated for component Ignition Supply (starter relay, Immo (EWS) ring antenna, ignition coils, injectors)

FUSE ACTIVATED FOR:
Starter relay- (Check the starter relays internal resistance)
"Immo (EWS) ring antenna..... THAT I would "forget" for now.
Ignition coils- ( check the internal resistance)
Injectors- (Check the internal resistance)
I am sure others can supply info on the resistance on those!
I do NOT have your type of bike so I can not help much.

The injctors ought to be between 1.4 to 20 Ohms
Haakon

2000 F650-GS

alandelph

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Hi all,
Electronics and testing is not in my field.  Mechanical is not a problem for me. That said I am trying to get my head around the electronic side.

Bike has been running fine until this weekend, would not start. Take the Tupperware off and the bike started and same old story, with out doing anything. Went from fault being present to no faults. Tupperware back on and the bike does not start again with fault code 10444. That leads me to thinking that I have a broken wire somewhere that causes an intermittent fault as the whole source of the problem, or one of the components that the 10444 fault code covers has an intermittent fault.

Tried to do some continuity test on some of the wires and have not found any faults as yet.

Any ideas?

Regards

Alan

INlinuxdude

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:43 PM »
When you said that you tested the relay, you assumed it was good because it was "clicking away"...   That sounds like you were testing the coil side of the relay and it was ok (by energizing/de-energizing it)...  However is it possible that the contacts side of the relay is bad (dirty contacts)?  Contacts in a relay fouling up is a much more common sypmtom of a bad relay, and it is intermittent...  I'm not sure of the exact circuit we are testing here, but that is a very common intermittent electrical failure..

DM

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »

This I found for harness touch the chassis at right hand side over the engine. After fix the cable every thing smooth again.
DM