Author Topic: Hello from Michigan  (Read 5449 times)

Ghost

• Ghost Cruises
Hello from Michigan
« on: November 19, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »
Greetings All,

The GS-911 Wifi arrived today and I managed to:
  • Register the unit, update its firmware, and configure my home wifi network from my Mac desktop.
  • Install the PC software on my laptop and connect to the unit via USB.
  • Install the iOS app on my iPhone 5S and connect to the unit via both infrastructure mode and D2D mode.
  • Connect the unit to my K1600GTL and auto-scan (saved as baseline).
  • Cleared the one fault (missing Sirius antenna) which wasn't currently active.
  • Set the service reminder for my next service.

The one thing I couldn't do is connect the PC to the unit via infrastructure mode. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the scan to complete. I even found the IP address of the unit from the iPhone, quit the app, and then entered that IP address in the PC setup; still didn't connect. It did, however, work perfectly from the PC using USB.

Anyway. I'm very pleased to have accomplished this much in the first few hours of ownership. Since I will be doing my own scheduled maintenance, this will come in very handy.

Best regards,

Ghost
no name - 2015 K1600GTL (new toy)
Vector - 2006 HD VRSCR (up for sale)
Cruiser - 1992 HD FLSTC (substantially tweaked)
http://www.ghostcruises.org
- Tales from the road... and other acts of hubris.

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:13:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum and well done on all the success with the set up's, we would need a little more info on the PC to assist in that aspect

Info like Operating System and browser would be handy.

One aspect with the home router, reserving an IP No for the GS911 can be a good idea so that it is always the same niumber

Ghost

• Ghost Cruises
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 08:10:23 AM »
A few details about the PC connection problem and other things that do work:
  • I'm running the latest non-beta GS911 application under Windows 7 on a Dell Latitude E6530 laptop.
  • I'm running the latest version of Firefox but I wasn't using the browser to access the GS911.
  • The laptop connects to the home wifi (Apple Time Capsule) just fine and can access the internet.
  • Similarly, my iPhone 5S and iPad Air access the home wifi just fine and can access the internet.
  • I've got the GS911 app installed on both the iPhone 5S and the iPad Air and both can find and connect to the GS911 when it's running in infrastructure mode.
  • The GS911 itself is configured to connect the the home wifi, and it does so successfully (solid green infrastructure light).
  • As mentioned before, I updated the GS911 to the latest firmware yesterday.

The only thing I can think if is that the VPN software for accessing my office from the laptop may still be resident, even though I'm not connected to the VPN. I'll try it again in the morning and see if forcing it to close improves things any. In the meantime, if you have any other ideas to try, let me know.

no name - 2015 K1600GTL (new toy)
Vector - 2006 HD VRSCR (up for sale)
Cruiser - 1992 HD FLSTC (substantially tweaked)
http://www.ghostcruises.org
- Tales from the road... and other acts of hubris.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 09:31:29 AM »
Just do the VPN check and see how that goes, on my router/WiFi network I simply reserve IP numbers for devices like GS911 so I can bookmark them

If you still have a problem with the WiFi app on the PC, lodge a support ticket with Hexcode so they are aware of it