Author Topic: Window 10  (Read 8057 times)

peterskill

• It's so nice being insane. Never having to explain
Window 10
« on: June 21, 2015, 02:25:13 AM »
Hey all  I have just purchased the GS 911 wifi and am amazed at it's capabilities.  I do have problems with the wifi connection between ti and my Dell tablet (windows 8.1).  It will do most things but not the instrument panel as it can't find controllers.  Works fine on my dell laptop.  I have just registered for Widows 10 and want to know if the GS 911 will work with the new operating system before I actually download anything. 
Thanks and regards
Peter

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Window 10
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:24:26 AM »
It is early days re Win10 since it is not released and only in preview at the moment, I am sure Hexcode will make sure it all works on final release

What model of bike are you connecting to and having problems with dash detection ?

peterskill

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 08:00:04 AM »
Hey Wayne
Thks for the response.  I have a 2008 K1200R.  I am having constant problems with the tablet using wifi. All seems to work with the exception of the instrument cluster. The cable is fine.  Today I cleared and re installed everything.  This time still had prblems with the instrument cluster as a dialogue box appears saying 'no response from controllers' appears.  I tried a cluster test and the dialogue box appeared but did the test anyway.  Tried again and the dialogue box appears,  Tried again and the test was performed succesfully. >:( >:( >:( >:(.   I have sent in a report but the response seems to put the fault with my tablet ::).  Also mentioned was the distance from tablet to GS911 (30cm) or large metal surfaces nearby creating a shielding effect so I opened the garage door. still nothing.  Exasperated is a euphemism for how I really feel.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:13:07 AM »
OK understood, make sure USB power saving is off on the GS911 WiFi and the PC/Tablet

The communications to control units is done between the GS911 WiFi and the bike with the info/results being relayed to the tablet so the problem is more likely to be either a comms issue with your dash or a firmware problem in the WiFi, good you lodged the support ticket though

I would firstly check the WiFi is on the latest version, I would then repeat the tests using a PC and the USB interface, last I would check dash wiring
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 08:16:49 AM by WayneC »

peterskill

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:54:36 PM »
Hey Wayne.  I tried the GS911 with my dell laptop and everything works fine.  I guess there must be some incompatibility problems with the tablet so I will just have to accept using the cable.  Thanks for your advice
Regards
peter

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 01:18:03 PM »
Peter good to hear it works with the USB cable, that clears the bike and places the problem with the WiFi interface and or your browser, I avoid M$ browsers due their problems as do 80-90 % of people using my 650GS web site

Re the distance between WiFi and Tablet, the distances quoted to you are not correct, I use it over far longer distances without problems, When at home base I have the tablet and GS911 WiFi communicating via the home WiFi system. Where a garage is on the limit of coverage for the main home network you can use range extenders, preferably with  5db antenna's like this one http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-WA801ND they are so low in cost these days, you can even use a WISP router to create a sub network in the garage to isolate from all those pesky devices in the house

The GS911 works so well linking into the home WiFi net that I can set up real time recording, go out for a ride and it auto logs in on my return

peterskill

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »
 I wasn't quoted a distance by the Hexcode help desk.  I was informed that to great a distance coud cause problems.  The 50 cm was the distance my device is from the tablet.  My frustration has abated somewhat. Thanks again Wayne for your advice.

Engenia

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »
I wasn't quoted a distance by the Hexcode help desk.  I was informed that to great a distance coud cause problems.  The 50 cm was the distance my device is from the tablet.
Standard WiFi should work fine line of sight over 20 metres. There's an upgraded standard that will work over ten times that, and more.
The only problems will occur from interference in the frequency band of interest, or some shielding wall between transmitter and receiver. A wooden house wrapped in Sisalation foil can be a great Faraday cage.