Author Topic: Hello and Thanks from Riverton, New Jersey USA  (Read 5440 times)

srs7765

Hello and Thanks from Riverton, New Jersey USA
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:48:19 PM »
I have a 2006 R1200RT with 86k miles that I bought about 7 months ago. The hot idle had alway been rough. Cold idle OK. Did valve adjustment, cable slack,TB synch, new plugs, check for vacuum leaks etc. Long story short, was reading on other forums about stepper motors and how they should reset at each key cycle and not to bother with recalibration via GS-911. Purchased GS-911, recalibrated steppers and idle is noticeably better. Thanks for a great product and I'm sure I will using for many other maintenance/repair things in the future.
Steve

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Hello and Thanks from Riverton, New Jersey USA
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:10:21 AM »
Good to hear you found the GS911 useful  ;D, afraid there is considerable mis information on forums with regard to aspects of all models, in part it comes from knowledge about earlier models of FI and how they operate

Engenia

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:04:08 AM »
... was reading on other forums about stepper motors and how they should reset at each key cycle ...
This is exactly how the Sagem and Walbro ECU's on Benelli's work. Turn it on and the stepper closes the valve, then continues to step against the stop. It then reverses a known number of steps to the start position, effectively resetting every time it is turned on.

I wonder why BMW departed from the norm?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
On a 650GS the actuator goes fully to stop and back to "start" or preset location on ignition off, it is resetting the parameter which is remembered as start that is done by the reset, they then "learn" what start position should be in the idle process which follows the reset. It is interesting to see when you have an ECU and all the sensors set up on the test bench, sure beats assuming what normal operation is and what the reset does
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 01:13:13 PM by WayneC »