Author Topic: GS-911.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  (Read 15695 times)

BicycleBoy

GS-911.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
« on: June 01, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
I have been using my GS 911 for over 5 years and have been very happy with it. I just upgraded to software v1503.2 and now get the following message when I attempt to start the program: "GS-911.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have been using an older Dell laptop with Windows XP which I keep in the garage and is strictly dedicated for GS 911 use. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the new version? I checked older posts and tried a search to no avail. I also uninstalled the older version so I am out of luck in that respect. Can I download my prior version 1411? Where / how? HELP!!! I would truly appreciate any assistance / insight into this matter.   Thanks!

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: GS-911.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
I have seen no reports of problems with XP, pretty sure I checked it was OK on my XP diags system, will recheck, there is another thread on 1503.2

http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/index.php/topic,850.0.html

I would suggest an uninstall and re install first, then think of where to go from there

BicycleBoy

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:56:02 PM »
Well folks, I have uninstalled / reinstalled software v1503.2 to no avail. I also tried the new beta version 1506.1 but continue to get the same error message, ie: "GS-911.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Strangely enough, I found the older v1303.3 in one of my backups which installed and ran without issue. Perhaps the newer versions are calling on a script or function which my laptop is no longer capable of? I guess my next course of action at this point will be a fresh install of Windows XP. Any other ideas are welcome.

@ WayneC: Thanks for taking the time and replying to my query. I did check the link but unfortunately did not find any resolutions to my problem. Hopefully a fresh OS install is the answer.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:59:06 PM by BicycleBoy »

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 03:09:07 AM »
I can confirm all versions I have here run without problems on XP including the latest beta so it would have to be a problem with XP on your laptop

schuppi

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 08:59:39 AM »
Hello,

agree with Wayne, sounds like problem with virus-scanner, stopping this finest GS911 .exe 8)
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

Francois Cilliers

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 10:42:26 AM »
@BicycleBoy, this looks like a rare problem we have seen recently where the newer versions of our software do not support very old CPUs since after we upgraded our software build tools. To help us assist you in determining whether this is the cause, please submit a support request to our helpdesk (http://www.hexcode.co.za/contact-us-1) and provide the following information along with your GS-911 serial number:

1) What brand and model CPU does your XP machine have? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? And are you using Windows XP 32-bit or 64-bit?

2) Is your Windows XP updated to Service Pack 3 with the latest updates? Unfortunately, we do not support versions prior to Service Pack 3.

3) What Anti-virus software are you using on your XP machine, and is it up to date?

4) Can you verify that the GS-911 executable file has a valid signature when you right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, select properties and look at the "Digital Signatures" page?

5) If the file signature is valid, does the application still crash when you temporarily disable your Anti-virus?

We are going to attempt rebuilding our software to support the older CPUs again, but this is unfortunately not a quick process, so we cannot yet say when it will be completed. In the mean time, you can continue using version 1303. If you need any of the newer functions urgently, you will have to use the application on a newer PC. The list of updates with details can be seen here: http://www.hexcode.co.za/news

Kind regards