Author Topic: 2010 GS Secondary Plug Issue  (Read 5922 times)

mike d

2010 GS Secondary Plug Issue
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »
I have been helping another club member with his 2010 R1200 GS. He has performed some extensive work on replacing the clutch, engine seals plus more.

The bike has a tendency to stumble at low revs especially at constant throttle openings. This was evident even before the above mentioned work was performed.

He has a GS-911 and has run through numerous tests. The bike has had the valve clearances checked, throttle bodies balanced etc.

He rang last night to say that on checking the stick coils, it looks like one of the secondary coils wasn't firing. He swapped the coils over and the same side failed, so not the stick coil then.

He checked the continuity from the low tension connector to the stick coil, back to the ECU, and all seems well. I asked hime to check the female socket of the plug to see if they had splayed out, thus making a poor contact with the male pins on the stick coil. It was difficult to determine if this was the case due to the size of the female socket.

Before swapping out the ECU, I was going to suggest he checks the output. so I have a few questions if I may.

1. Is it safe to use a voltmeter to read the low tension pulsing output at the female socket (or perhaps use an oscilloscope).
2. We have the opportunity to buy a second hand module, which can be returned if it doesn't cure the fault, but can that module (if for a GS) be connected without the need to be re-coded to the bike. If a non GS module is used, would that need to re-coded.

P.S. All contacts have been cleaned with switch cleaner and appear spotless, and now male pins are bent or pushed back in to the holder.

Thanks in advance for your considered opinions.

Update 03/04/2017 Thee is definitely no 12v output from the ECU. No short circuit o any other pins  from the female socket of the cable when measured back to the disconnected plug on the ECU.

So back to question (2) above. Any feedback?

Mike

« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:07:02 AM by mike d »

mike d

Re: 2010 GS Secondary Plug Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
Anybody got any feedback on my above problem please?

Mike

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:05:50 PM »
Did you come right with this issue?

mike d

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
The bike in question is his winter hack, (he has a very new GS as well). He hasn't got back to me on the latest status, so I will have to contact him and see if he has any further update.

Mike