Author Topic: Newbie with 911 wifi  (Read 6854 times)

cuzzy

Newbie with 911 wifi
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:47:20 PM »
Hello all !
Have just purchased a 911 Wi-Fi and just setting it up (In the house with Wi-Fi), I have used the downloader and now have the Wi-Fi utility on my pc using the usb cable I have powered up the 911 done all the registration and input all the Wi-Fi details and pass words all the leds are green all seems fine!
But here's the question when I go out the  workshop plug the 911 into the bike and link it to the pc using the usb cable I don't have any functionality have I missed out some software or do I need Wi-Fi in the workshop? thought if using the usb cable to link to the pc I would not need Wi-Fi in workshop for service resets etc.
Have used my android tablet with 911 app to connect to the bike via d2d setting and was able to see data and fault codes!
Help advise please!

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: Newbie with 911 wifi
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:18:09 AM »
All sounds good on your set up other than you not mentioning updating the GS911 firmware

To understand what is happening when you go out to the bike and connect via USB we would need to know more re the PC and which version of windows

cuzzy

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Will find out more info on the PC and make a note of what messages the soft ware is saying and repost
Many thanks Geoff

cuzzy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 10:17:51 PM »
Hello All
More information on problems with new 911 WiFi.
The laptop I am using is a year old HP pavilion running windows 8.1.
When I set up the unit and registered it I also pressed the update button this now shows the message of gs911 WiFi launcher up-to-date & WiFi interface up-to-date.
This is the information I get when I press the check unit button.
Serial No #####
Checksum 0A42
Firmware version 0.215-0.111
Base system version 0.24-0.9-2
Data pack version 106
Have tried to connect to the bike again using the usb cable, on connection the computer makes a chime sound and on the launcher screen it shows unit connected via usb but the browse the devise stays greyed out and does not work.
Have checked the file explorer when the unit is connected and the gs911 does not show up under the devises and drives like a card reader or usb stick does so is this a usb port problem?
Any help appreciated.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 02:41:03 AM »
I'm not 100% sure I understand what is going on, but...

If you expect to connect to the GS-911 with the browser you do not need the USB connection.   You do need to either have wifi in your garage OR you need to put the GS-911 in device-2-device (D2D) mode and change the network your PC is connected to the one reported by the GS-911wifi. 

The third choice is to run the GS-911 PC App (not the utility) connected to the GS-911 using your USB cable.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 03:06:06 AM »
There are other threads here describing USB port problems with Win 8.1, you need to turn off power saving in the GS911 and also on the PC USB port

I cant recall the precise instructions as I as I avoid Win 8/8.1 like the plague  :D