Author Topic: operation issues  (Read 14659 times)

TRJeff

operation issues
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:25:16 AM »
Any one else have continuing issues with the GS911 wifi? I purchased mine at the BMWMOA rally last year and have had constant issues with connectivity to computer with wifi or cable also with my IPhone, works only when it seems to want to. Today tried to use with computer found I needed to update, started update then connected with cable to computer saw gs911 for a short time then said it doesn't see gs911, does flash red /orange plugged into computer. plugged into bike that has worked before and flashes red/orange. Did I get a lemon or what? I usually don't have this many issues with this stuff.  I do have another help ticket to HexCode  :-\

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: operation issues
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 02:48:12 AM »
Let us separate the two use scenario's and look at each separately to work out the problems

Firstly when you plugged via USB today and it indicated an upgrade was needed you did not mention whether the upgrade completed
Secondly what is the Windows Version on the computer ?

When connecting via WiFi are you connecting in Ahoc mode direct to the unit or via a home router in infrastructure mode ?

TRJeff

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:26:17 PM »
I am using Windows 7 home premium version. When I first started the program recognized the device, after following prompts is when the problem started. Went to web site and tried to start over but programs would not see device.
If I go to computer and plug in device I get flashing green then it changes to flashing red/green/orange?  do not see device under computer. in devices and printers it does show a device Hex-Net, device starts flashing green then goes to flashing red/green/orange?
Start GS911 wifi launcher, does not see device, ( when I first started it did) click refresh and nothing happens, unit flashing green/red/orange?
GS911 downloader, plug in device starts flashing green then goes to the red/green/orange flashing, click download options and get
Error
failed to communicate with the GS911 interface, please check that the interface USB cable is connected properly to a USB socket
Invalid received from device

HELP

TRJeff

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 08:41:27 PM »
I do not know if it ever finished down load,  GS911 beta is still 1407.5

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:23:35 AM »
The beta software you refer to 1407.5 is very old and the current release version is 1411

Look at it this way

There are two modes the GS911 WiFi operates in

1/ just like any GS911 when it is connected to the PC via USB

To use it in this mode you need to download and then install the PC application

2/ A WiFi device when you connect to it via WiFi

When in this mode there is firmware you download to update the device internally

There are 3 LEDs on the unit, which LED is flashing ?

Go back to the Hexcode web site and download both utilities

First the GS911 downloader to enable downloading the PC App

Secondly the GS911 WiFi utility to make it easy to connect to it via WiFi

I assume your PC has WiFi, if so use the WiFi utility to connect to it via WiFi,

TRJeff

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
The power button is what is flashing starts flashing green then goes to red/green. the other 2 lights do not come on.   I have both the wifi launcher and the down loader. I have downloaded both again with the same results. Remember when I first started this the wifi launcher did recognize the device, started a down load then quit. after that neither program will recognize device

TRJeff

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 09:48:15 PM »
I do know the USB port works just fine, tested with my I Phone and also with my GPS, still get the red / green flashing only from the power indicator. Is there a repair/ warrantee available?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 02:22:35 AM »
Yes there is a warranty, I would suggest you contact the US distributor, Beemershop, and discuss your problem with them

It does sound like a firmware corruption with the power lamp behaving the way it does

What I am not clear on is whether you had done a firmware update after purchasing the unit and how you ended up with the beta 1407

TRJeff

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
I had used the device only once right after I purchased it at the BMWMOA Rally in Minneapolis last summer, so this would be what was available July 2014.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
OK, understood, there was an update to the release version of the PC app and the beta releases after that

Can you also confirm you made no attempts at firmware update via the WiFi web interface

TRJeff

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 03:10:01 PM »
I started with the GS911wifi V1410.4. was connected using USB cable, wifi launcher saw my device, clicked on check for updates, started an update (sorry I don't remember what) then everything stopped.

TRJeff

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 03:17:58 PM »
To anyone reading this thread please realize I do appreciate the effort Wayne is putting into this issue. Trying to resolve an issue like this using a forum post is at best difficult as he cannot see or operate my unit. I am sure we will get this unit functioning properly soon.
Thank you Wayne for staying with  this  issue and not calling me inept.  ;D

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 03:28:16 PM »
Being able to understand what the person on the other end is the key, so precise answers are the way to do it

You would be surprised what can be achieved on a forum or even email, a mate and I talked an owner of a 650GS through a complete wiring harness swap and addition of ABS complete with the ABS being from a Dakar

I suspect you are the only one I have heard of who has had a genuine failure, the timing of Easter has added to the problems and delays in resolution.

Me ?, I have been working from remote and with people from different parts of the world since the 70's so it all seems normal to me but  I do appreciate your complement. I am stuck at home on Dr's orders at the moment so hey it gave me something to do  ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:30:22 PM by WayneC »

TRJeff

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 04:16:50 PM »
would deleting everything and starting fresh worth a try?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:02 PM »
Regrettably I dont think so, when you power up the unit from USB or the bike, the Power LED over at one end by itself should just flash green, if there are no networks configured then the LED at the other end should go solid green, if there is a network configured and that was the last connection made then the middle LED should flash until it establishes the infrastructure connection, if the network is missing or wont allow connection then it will go red

What you are telling me is the first LED or power LED is going red and that would indicate the unit is not booting correctly, it could occur if there was a fault/corrupt firmware

One way I can think of firmware corruption happening is if it was told to update and the update file was received from the web but the unit was depowered part way through the actual install of the firmware. It is unlikely but would be possible

The update process is to download the file, decompress it then install it, there are actually 4 progress bars in the update system when you do it from the web interface, there have been improvements in how well it indicates progress over the last 6 months