Author Topic: How to log over an hour's worth of data?  (Read 6915 times)

magwych

How to log over an hour's worth of data?
« on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:07 AM »
I am beginning to suspect that I have an intermittent voltage spike or drop, and was hoping that I could record battery and ECU voltage over time, but wou ldneed to do so over a period of an hour or so. Logging real-time values is new to me so do forgive me if it is obvious to those who have more experince of this feature.
The bike is a 2008 R1200GSA, and the problem occurs at some time during my hour long commute to work, the signs are a hesitant "cough" from te motor when slowing down, usually whilst playing amongst the traffic. I have always put this down to a throttle body imbelance, or sticking or mis-calibrated bypass actuators. I have just started to use some new heated gloves with a controller built into each glove, and oticed that when this occurs, it causes one or both gloves to switch , symptomatic of a voltage drop. It also needs that the affected glove needs to be completely disconnected and reconnected before it will turn on again, again this is exactly what happens when there is voltage drop, typically when the starter button is pressed.
The behaviour of the gloves is a pain, but I am more interested in finding out the cause, because of the correlation between the gloves switching off and  engine cough that feels like it is going to die. It ha sdone thso for among time, long bfore I got the gloves.
I am hoping that all I need to do is hook the GS911 up to the bike, and to the lapto; then run the GS911 application and enable data logging for the two voltages, idealy at the smallest possible interval?
If that works then I guess I put the latop into a suitable into a bag then ride off to work?If necessary I can slit thefile into parts for Excel to plot some graphs...
Can anybody advise if this is the right approach and likely to succeed, or fail? Clearly I would need to ensure thatthe laptop did not hibernate or go to sleep during that period, any other pitfalls to look out for?

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: How to log over an hour's worth of data?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 02:11:04 AM »
The process sounds fine, the GS911 WiFi records to internal storage and does not need the PC so it is easier to do, the spike however could be caused by a sticky idle actuator which would be active as you come to a halt in traffic. It may also be some other component. On the heated gloves you are also now finding out why these intelligent controllers are not so smart after all  :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:13:01 AM by WayneC »

magwych

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks Wayne. I should have mentioned that I have a very early BT model without Wifi. 

Do these have any onboard memory?

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:46 AM »
No the GS911Blu does not have the internal storage so the PC is needed, as a matter of interest which brand of heated gloves are they ?

magwych

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »
The gloves are Keis X800i. It may be a fault with the gloves themselves, but there us something odd aggravating the issue. 

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:22 PM »
Oxford also had problems with drop out on their gear and the early intelligent controllers, connecting direct to battery adds ignition off battery drain which some incorrectly call parasitic drain. I use an electronic variable controller with no intelligence to provide power to gear and avoid the intelligent controller problems but all this is separate to your primary fault  :D it interested me though as it seems they still have not resolved all the problems