Author Topic: GS911 WiFi Home Router Notes and Info  (Read 10984 times)

WayneC

• Beta testers
GS911 WiFi Home Router Notes and Info
« on: January 12, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
This thread is intended to be a place for people to let everyone know about the good, the bad and the ugly in configuring routers when using the WiFi

WayneC

• Beta testers
Re: GS911 WiFi Home Router Notes and Info
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
A few simple tips to kick the thread off

With most routers you can use a DHCP utility to see connected devices so when you are first configuring a WiFi unit use it to confirm you see the WiFi MAC address and the IP Number, this will tell you the GS911 WiFi is connected

Many routers have logging files and these files can show any problems devices have had while connecting and the info can assist support people

Another simple configuration tip is to use the DHCP Client utility in many routers to reserve an IP Number for the GS911 WiFi so that it receives the same number when ever it connects. This enables bookmarking the IP number in a web browser and provides quicker connection on PCs and MACs

Calambres

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:12 PM »
I can add my experiences with the router ZyXel P-660HW-D1. I've got it configured with WEP-128 bits and the GS-911 won't connect to my home network unless I use WPA-WPA2 or no security at all. Since I've got a device that is only supporting WEP coding I struggled a lot to get the GS-911 connected to no avail, until I asked for help to Wayne who, promptly and proficiently, guided me to the key for the connection. This particular router is able connect with the GS-911 "infrastructure" mode only if the password supplied via the GS-911wifi Launcher application is typed in HEXADECIMAL (with no trailing "0x"). Once I entered the passcode in HEX everything worked like a charm.

I also followed Wayne's advice to assign a static IP to the GS-911 WiFi and now I no longer need to start that tool to access it, just type the IP in the browser or set it up as a bookmark.

Thanks a lot again to Wayne for his great support. Hope this can be of any help to others.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:53:49 AM »
Yes with the ZyXel it has a utility where you enter your preferred WEP password in ascii and it generates a hex key which is intended for users to then enter into devices they are connecting where on other routers like the TPLink you directly enter a hex key into the router and then any devices you connect

The DHCP and connected devices utility in the ZyXel is quite neat, it is simply a tick box to reserve an IP No for devices, makes it very easy