Author Topic: 2013 R1200gs XABS fault code = 2  (Read 9523 times)

BManiac

• I'm not here, I'm riding!
2013 R1200gs XABS fault code = 2
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Hi all,
        I recently got an issue with the bike when the positive pole of the battery disconnect when riding at low speed. The ABS light turned on and voila.
I checked the fault code with GS-911 and got...fault code #2, if any one knows what it's refer to, I would appreciated.
I did clear the fault code but still the same, ABS light still on.
Here is the result from GS-911:

XABS : -
Controller Name : XABS
Controller : 0F8300
Serial Number : #########
Manufacturer : Continental Automotive
Manufacture Date (YY/MM/DD) : 13/04/05
VIN : #####
Program Count : 0
Program Count Maximum : 1000
Firmware Date (YY/MM/DD) : 13/04/05
Kilometers when programmed : 0.0
Number of FW configurations : 3
. HW Electronics (HWEL) :
. . Firmware ID : 1299
. . Firmware Version : 000.001.000
. Bootloader (BTLD) :
. . Firmware ID : 1298
. . Firmware Version : 000.001.003
. SW Memory Image (SWFL) :
. . Firmware ID : 129A
. . Firmware Version : 001.000.010
Fault Codes : 2
- :
480863 : Supply voltage, overvoltage
Currently present : NO
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 1
Logistic(Healing) count : 35
. Fault Code History :
. . Record number : 0
. . Odometer : 5063.8 mls
. . ABS time : 1210771
. . Status Control Unit : 1
. . Sub Table : 17
. . Battery Voltage : 14.65 V
. . REF Speed : 27.3 mls/h
. . Brake Status : 0
. . Brake Mode : 212
. . Internal Error ID : 0
- :
480860 : Supply voltage, undervoltage
Engine warning light (MIL) : NO
Frequency count : 1
Logistic(Healing) count : 35
. Fault Code History :
. . Record number : 0
. . Odometer : 5063.8 mls
. . ABS time : 1210817
. . Status Control Unit : 2
. . Sub Table : 17
. . Battery Voltage : 16.49 V
. . REF Speed : 10.6 mls/h
. . Brake Status : 17
. . Brake Mode : 1028
. . Internal Error ID : 0
Dr. BManiac

schuppi

Re: 2013 R1200gs XABS fault code = 2
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »
the positive pole of the battery disconnect when riding at low speed.

Hello, please check the proper connections of the battery poles. Be sure, that they are tightend.
In case of that disconnection, the voltage regulator may be demaged.
See over- and undervoltage faults. It's necessary to measure before using the bike again.

Have a nice day
Schönen Tag
Wolfgang
                                       talk less, drive more

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:54:32 AM »
Not "fault code #2", but two fault codes.   The first was an overvoltage... probably the result of the battery positive terminal falling off the battery.  The battery acts as a voltage moderator and when the connection came off the voltage regulator may have, for a very short while, output more voltage than the ABS unit expected.   The second fault was an under voltage.  Expected as there will be no voltage when the battery is disconnected and the engine is not running but the ignition is on.

Both faults were transitory... their state is NOT currently present.  Did you RIDE the bike after clearing the faults?  The ABS light will not stop blinking/go out until you ride.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:18:10 AM »
Hmmm... and have you scanned for faults again after clearing the old faults?   I'd hope that something would be logged but even if something was don't know what you could do about it.

I find it strange that the logged voltage during the overvoltage event was 14.65 volts -- a little high, but not that much -- whereas the voltage logged for the undervoltage was 16.49 volts.   I don't know what 16 and 1/2 volts will do to the hardware and why it would trigger an UNDER voltage event.

Torx

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »
I had a problem like this on a vehicle that came into the garage some while ago when the earthing lead rotted through and came adrift. It played havoc with the electronics after we fitted a new earth lead. We then left the vehicle with the battery cable disconnected to 'power it down' for at least an hour. Luckily on reconnection the system decided to behave itself after reconfiguring with the diagnostic equipment. It's a long shot but try disconnection of the battery and leave your machine for a while and then reconnect and see how you go. On early vehicle electronics this type of problem was a catastrophe for they didn't have the same voltage surge protection as they have today resulting in ECU failure/part system malfunction. If the above procedure doesn't work then it's possible you may have an electronics issue.

marchyman

• Beta testers
    • SNAFU Home
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 05:35:50 AM »
That's your "Body Controller" or what used to be known as the ZFE Central Vehicle Electronics.   It is complaining about past events pertaining to your horn.   Neither fault is currently present.   If I'm reading that right one of the faults was reported either 2 or 3 times.

800E83 : Horn, open circuit
Frequency count : 3     <== looks like three, except  there are only two records present.

. . Record number : 1
. . Odometer : 4572.9 mls

. . Record number : 2
. . Odometer : 4886.7 mls

I'd not think that would have anything to do with your ABS issues.

Torx

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:42:36 AM »
I agree with Marchyman the codes appear to be historic. It's a big shame the present GS 911 can't cycle the modulator on the later LC's for this would eliminate any communication issues with this part of the system and correct me if I'm wrong but future software in the pipeline will facilitate this. Although this won't correct the ABS light being illuminated it offers a diagnosis towards the modulator operation and a communication aspect. Even if say the ABS control switch was faulty this should have come up as a fault code (showing ABS switched off), fuse operation would effect other circuits. I take it you've tried switching the ABS on and off as you've ridden your machine. Running out of suggestions here and subject to no other codes being displayed it all points towards a hardware problem.