Author Topic: Error 12772, F650 Dakar  (Read 14416 times)

fahrer

Error 12772, F650 Dakar
« on: May 28, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
Returned two days ago from a three days ride, about 1200 kms in heavy rain. Everything was fine till today when I washed the bike, and after the wash ABS is not working. Error is 12772, Rear sensor fault, resistive. I cleaned the sensor, sensor ring and dried the conector, but nothing happened. What else can I do before I buy a new sensor.

I had once the same fault in the front sensor, and cleaning the sensor and the ring fixed it.

Any suggestions?

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Re: Error 12772, F650 Dakar
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:48 PM »
Pls post a complete Autoscan
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

fahrer

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »
Ordered a new sensor today. All the symptoms confirm the diagnosis, speedo not working. Better a bad sensor  than a bad ABS unit :)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:28:58 PM »
Still post an AutoScan pls... would like to see the exact model and ABS controller details and exact fault code description and status...
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

fahrer

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Autoscan is attached in the previous message  :)

fahrer

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 12:41:02 PM »
Well, no good news. It took 15 days for the local dealer to get the sensor. In that time the battery died. So I bought a new one. Sensor finally arrived yesterday, but fault 12772, Rear sensor fault, resistive, is still present, and another fault, 8672 Internal control module error - ABS valve relay, appeared as well.
So now I have a new battery, a new sensor but ABS is still not working. Anybody knows the location of ABS valve relay? I hope it is not inside the ABS module :(
Now the bike has a new rear wheel sensor and a new battery. Any advices what else can I check? So far I have checked the contacts and fuses. Everything looks fine.

Haakon

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:56:06 AM »
I pray I am wrong! I have had the same error codes on my F650Gs and it did not make sense.
First resistive fault of sensor, then all sorts of other faults.
The reason was corrosion on the huge connector at the ABS unit.
It is "easy" to check. Remove the rear damper adjuster and move the fuseholder under the seat out of the way you can remove the connector and see where it connects to the ABS unit. The connector can be wriggeled and forced down and out so you have easy access to see it.
Good luck!

2000 F650-GS

fahrer

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
Well I sort of fixed it. Almost. Cleaned all the connectors including the big one Haakon mentioned, checked all (I think :)   ) the relays on the bike, and that sorted out the sensor problem. Internal control module error remained till I gave the ABS module a couple of taps with the big screwdriver. That fixed it, but occasionally another tap or two are needed, as one or two times out of ten ABS light stays on. I'll see what happens in the future.

There is a plastic cover on the ABS unit, but to unscrew the screws that fix that cover I need to dismantle half of the bike. Does anyone know what is beneath that cover, and is it worth the effort of taking it off.

Thanks for advices.

Haakon

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 05:09:20 AM »
I forgot to mention: The corrosion issue first happend when my bike was under warranty.
The ABS unit was replaced- I  had corrosion issues on most of the connectors, including the ECU (also replaced)
BMW Norway gave me a 10 years unlimited warrarnty on ALL eletrical faults.
---------------
When I again had a corrosion issue- after the 10 years warranty had expired- I used 3 types of CRC to remove the corrosion.
First a corrosion "remover" followed by a chemical to neutralize the corrosion remover.
Finally a corrosion prevention chemical.
I will try find the exact types I used. (the corrosion remover and neutralizer was marine types)
-------------------
I have a spare ABS unit and will "check" what is under the cover- tomorrow.
Haakon

2000 F650-GS

fahrer

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »
Thanks for info Haakon. It will help a lot to know what is under the cover. A friend of mine is an car electrician, and he will (I hope) be able to find a problem once we open the unit. If it is not too much to ask, a few photos of the inside of the module would be great :)

Now, if the bike sits for a period longer than, lets say 10 -15 minutes, it always needs a few taps on the module to get the ABS to work. But once the ABS lamp goes off, I can turn the ignition on and off for dozens of times and the lamp goes off every time, as long as it is within a few minutes between turning the ignition off and on. As if there is some kind of condensator that needs a tap or two to power up, and then keeps the current for a few minutes.

If we manage to repair it I will post a procedure of what we did in case someone else needs it. But that will have to wait for a month, as I am starting a trip with my other bike around the Black sea next week :)

Haakon

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:12 PM »
I do not think this is a GS-911 issue?
Maybe we had better continue using mail?
My mail address is in my profile.
Will remove the plastic now...
Haakon 
2000 F650-GS

Jughead

• Beta testers
    • Dual Sport Motorcycle Clinic
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »

fahrer

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 10:48:58 PM »
Just a brief update. It took some time, but eventually I fixed the problem. I've been lucky and got a used module from Ebay.  After I swapped the modules, ABS is working, and a friend of mine, who is an auto electrician, repaired the old module. It was full of water!!!, and that is not very good for electronic parts :-) He cleaned everything up, changed the relays and one resistor, sealed the unit with epoxy, and now I have a spare Dakar module. The question is how did the water got inside? I'll have to doublecheck the connector, as that seems the only way for the water to get in. You will see in the photos, it is too much water to be condensate...

Haakon

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:00 PM »
Nice repair  ;D
Scaring pictures!
When my ABS failed the connector pocket was filled with water.
Bike was 2 years old then.
I wish BMW had designed the bike with the ABS and ECU connectors at the bottom, not the top!     
2000 F650-GS

bikecrazy5

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »
thanx for the update and pics helps alot and keeps a person interested