(Better?) Instructions for using D2D betwen iPhone 911-Wifi with iPhone hotspot?

Started by JRWooden, May 11, 2026, 07:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRWooden

I have the Hex GS-911 user manual dated 3/26  -  Edition 17
Either I missed it or the latest enhancements for using a WiFi 911 w/ an iphone including hotspot doesn't seem to be covered completely...

Is there a separate document?
Did I miss it somehow?
or do I just need to be more patient with the technical writer?   ;)

Thanks,
Jim


WayneC

Afraid it has been years since I looked at D2D let alone with an iPhone Jim, has the GS911 ever been configured ?

I would go the other way of having the iPhone connect to the GS911 using the App

https://apps.apple.com/au/app/gs-911wifi/id771720761

JRWooden

Hey Wayne!!!

Thanks for jumping in ... :-)

I didn't do a stellar job of describing my issue....
I have a red-wifi-version GS-911 and I installed recently released the iPhone app (iphone 17 pro)
and was trying to set that up...

The sequence of steps of attaching to the wifi network offered by the 911
turning on the iPhone's hotspot for internet access and etc....
was a little confusing to me ...

but:
I was in a hurry
it was my first time trying it
the prompts didn't quite make sense
and...... I wasn't taking notes

other than that I should have been a total success ... right?    ::)




WayneC

JR

The Hex forum was down or not accessible from Oz earlier, just got the new post email

I looked at the iPhone a long time ago to write a simple instruction & the GS911 side was straight forward to me but trying to understand the iPhone HotSpot setup to be the same IP No each time you activated it confused me

I think the trick if you could call it that is to do the iPhone HotSpot then that gives a target for directing the GS911 to it with the App & saving the config so you can then use the button on top to select the iPhone HotSpot

At one point I had 4 network settings in the GS911 for 3 workshops I was going to plus my home WiFi net, the GS911 just considers the iPhone HotSpot as a network

Hati

Might as well revive this topic.

Same issue, iPhone 16E attempting to connect the app after the latest major update that promises easy connection and full functionality without a computer.

So, how did it go? Piss poor. I have the wifi 911 working fine via USB with my laptop, update everything to the latest release too, just in case and also have the latest iPhone app available.

When trying to complete the linking, the app goes through D2D, instructs to get the hotspot password and enter it within 30 seconds while enabling "allow other to join", but the app stalls EVERY time and comes back with an error. I can see the green advisory in the top left corner flash up a few times but it drops out every time, the GS911 is red when this is happening and then it beeps and goes back to D2D mode.

Anyone with a solution? I need to use the device on the road with the above mentioned iPhone so I have to have wifi infrastructure and hotspot on the phone running.