Author Topic: Great little AccessPoint/Router for GS-911wifi  (Read 21783 times)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

Xchallenge

Re: Great little AccessPoint/Router for GS-911wifi
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:35:45 AM »
For those using other APs with a possibly different terminology or abbrevations, the following may be useful:
WMM=WiFi Multimedia aka Wireless Multimedia Extensions (WME)
Short GI=Short Guard Interval
AP isolation=Access Point isolation aka Client isolation

The term performance can be interpreted in many ways and when Stephan says "...we've found for best performance" I think he means the most reliable operation with a GS-911wifi, which of course is and should be the only focus of this thread.

A very simplified technical explanation of the above mentioned features:
WMM prioritizes traffic in different classes and giving precedence to voice and video over other types of traffic. In theory it is useful on an AP with a lot of mixed traffic but it may also limit throughput for a GS-911wifi.

Short GI decreases the time between data characters being sent wirelessly. In an optimal radio environment that could increase throughput but in less than optimal conditions it will instead lead to errors, retransmissions, instability and decreased performance. If you're a RF-engineer you know when you can enable it but for the rest of us it is safer to leave it disabled as Stephan recommends.

AP isolation prevents any traffic between wirelessly connected nodes. This of course very effectively prevents communication between the PC or mobile device running the GS-911 application and the GS-911wifi unit. That is probably not what you want being a reader of this forum. ;)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
thanks Xchallenge! an Applaud point for that! ;) - hope you don't mind that I used some of your words in the related FAQ:
 http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/do-you-recommend-any-wifi-accesspoints

best
Stephan
currently riding:

Xchallenge

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:43:50 AM »
I can't read the link since my old login doesn't seem to work but I don't mind at all. My intention was only to clarify for those with a different AP and briefly explain for the more technically interested. If you think something is useful outside the forum also, that's even better. :)

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
oops... pardon me...

it is now a published link... should work without any logins like all our published FAQ's
 http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/support/faq/do-you-recommend-any-wifi-accesspoints

best
Stephan

currently riding:

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 06:03:06 AM »
You can add to the list the TP-Link WR3020

Have been using it for years for general purposes, it adds 3G/4G mobile internet capability by plugging in a stick

Have tested the GS911 WiFi unit with it and it works very well

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 08:24:14 AM »
With the TP-Link MR3020 and possibly other routers with WPA encryption, when using embedded devices like the GS911 WiFi ensure there is a valid setting for Group Key Update Period, it must be more than 30.

I have found a couple of devices like tablets, where a setting of 0 prevents authentication on the MR3020

Alan T. Butler

• Nice day for somethin'
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 06:58:12 PM »
I like gadgets as much as the next guy, but I cannot figure out why I need an Access Point/Router for my GS-911 WiFi.  I can access it with my iPhone on its own little internal WiFi setting.  If I want to reset the clock or the service warning on my K-bike or my GS I'm in the comfort of my own garage and my own WiFi.  If I want to reset somebody else's service warning for them, it's usually somewhere like a motel parking lot during an I-BMW rally, and we are on the motel's WiFi. 

Please help me with a good situation where I need one of these things, so I can justify its purchase!

Thank you

Seeya
 ATB

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 03:56:29 AM »
The AP is only needed if a home router does not have an AP inbuilt or the garage is beyond the range of the one in the house so an AP could be used as a range extender. Many (like me) also dont use expensive/unreliable bandwidth off a mobile phone to do updates into the GS911. It also allows easy jumping onto another device such as a PC to save a log etc

The final reason is adhoc mode is also insecure and so you can find mobiles other than your own automatically jumping onto what appears to be an open access point on the GS911 so infrastructure mode is a better option in some circumstances

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 01:06:25 AM »
Next to that with this nifty TL-WR702N you can keep the data off your other "corporate" wifi network.

The TL-WR702N is very easy & simple to set-up and quite powerful.
The only issue is trying to obtain the latest firmware for the TL-WR702N (being 4.19.1 Build 130528 Rel.52704n) which appears not to be publicly available for download.

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 04:19:44 AM »
The 702N 130528 firmware, ie 28/05/2013, firmware is old firmware, the current firmware is dated  27/07/14 and is available for download at TPLink

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WR702N&version=V1

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 08:09:13 AM »
I (only) looked at the version-number, not knowing that the release-date was reverse-order stated. (as well)

Thanks!
I will have a look later today with the new(er) firmware installed.

One applaud given to you.
Naturally.

Inspector Gadget

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
BTW, the latest available firmware on the aforementioned link is "4.18.96 build 140729 Rel. 58334n"