Author Topic: GS911 wifi  (Read 8316 times)

TRJeff

GS911 wifi
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »
purchased a new GS911 Wifi at the BMWMOA rally in Minnesota last week and after trying to use unit have found connections to wifi very difficult, (using a pc windows 7, home network and or units own wifi)) not sure if I am doing anything incorrectly or not , will some times join but after checking some information  will drop out. using an I Phone 5 this is even more of a problem with sometimes connecting some times reading data but usual dropping  off, will try more again this evening but I am not very happy how this is working out so far. :-\

StephanT

• Administrator
    • HEXcode
Re: GS911 wifi
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:46:51 PM »
very important to make sure you have good signal strength... and no, looking at what the PC and or MAC show for their wifi signal strength is a far cry from the truth...

When connecting to the GS-911wifi hotspot (D2D), make sure you are close, and also check that you are not shielding the device with any metal...

When using infrastructure, i.e. connecting to your home network, signal has to be strong... if signal strength is not a problem, then you might have other network issues...

Let us know what router/AP you are using..

on your router/AP, go into the settings and disable the Short GI and WMM - there are many references on the net where these are creating havoc, and we found the same on some routers/APs...

some other tests you can do:
Pinging your GS-911wifi interface from your PC
1. find out what your GS-911wifi's IP address is (the utilities are great for that).
2. on windows, open a command prompt and ping your GS-911wifi - let's assume your IP was 192.168.1.101, then you would type:
    ping -n 25 192.168.1.101
where the "-n 25" instructs it to send 25 ping requests to the supplied IP (4 is just not a good statistical number)

Pinging your PC form your GS-911wifi device
1. make sure your GS-911wifi is connected using the USB cable
2. find your PC's IP address (in the command prompt type ipconfig)
3. open the GS-911wifi utility
4. select wifi tests and enter your PC's IP address... this will have the GS-911wifi ping your PC

If you're looking for a cheap AP/router that works, I recommend the TPlink TL-WR702N... Wallmart and Newegg sell them for less than $20.. These are great little router/AP combos, that we've had no issues with.

best
Stephan
currently riding:
    BMW F850GS Adv - slightly modified
    HD Pan America - development bike for ezCAN

TRJeff

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
rechecked how I was communicating with pc and I Phone and happy to report all work great, thank you for the quick reply. ;D

WayneC

• Beta testers
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 05:06:25 AM »
+10 on the TPlink TL-WR702N, I am using them for a variety of tasks and they perform far better than anything else I have encountered

They are also being used to provide wireless capability for people doing BMW car diags with the car interfaces with great success

Devilinsidede

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:21 AM »
I much prefer this model