Author Topic: ABS Failure light and no speedo  (Read 4804 times)

drumahoe

ABS Failure light and no speedo
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
Hi I have had my R1200GS 2006 for about 3 months.  It has 15000 miles on clock.  I had a full BMW service 500 miles ago with brake flush.  Over the bast couple of weeks i have been having ABS Failure light and no speedo GS911 gives me a 25140 error.  I change the battery for a Odyssey and if anything the fault is occurring more often, especially when the bike heats up.  I am told it could be a bad connection but I don't know where to look.  Please help as it is driving me up the walls. I have attached the auto scan report if that will help.

bikecrazy5

Re: ABS Failure light and no speedo
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:55:40 PM »
hi
seeing that you have no speedo and abs i would take a look at your front and rear speed sensors
normally the rear sensor works with the speedo....so remove the sensor from the diff and check for filling or any damage...
on the front same check for damage and so on but also pay attention to the ring on the rim and make sure it is straight and has a consistent distance between the ring and sensor

drumahoe

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »
I thought it might be more voltage related as the rear drive oil was changed at the service a couple of hundred miles ago.  The sensor would have been removed then by dealer and cable seems fine. I have read that bad connections on ABS can cause this but I don't know where to look.
Sent from my RM-976_1115 using Tapatalk

marki_gsa

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:08:22 AM »
Speed is sensed from the rear sensor in the FD. It's a simple job to remove it and check it. Look for a metallic paste covering the end of it. If there is then clean it and put it back together. This is also a sign that the wheel/pinion bearing is on the way out. If it is clean then work your way up the cable checking for damage and make sure the connectors are clean and properly put together. Just follow the cable and you will find the connectors. If all that doesn't turn up anything then it might well be a faulty sensor.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 01:10:11 AM by marki_gsa »

Haakon

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:02:51 AM »
I fully agree with what "whatmarki_gsa" and "bikecrazy5" said.
That said, I am a bit disturbed by the fault message:
---------------
 1 fault codes found:
25140 Internal control module error - ComStart timeout
The fault is not present now.
--------------
The scan say "fault not present now" but I guess that is because the bike was stationary?
If your problem was a ABS sensor I believe the GS911 would have said so?
If it was a low battery voltage the GS911 would have said..... and so on.
A front or rear sensor problem, not "control module..."
It does on MY, very basic, bike.
-----------------
You say "warming up" make the ABS and speeedo fail.
How that can be caused by your recent BMW service is a mystery!
I would check ALL electrical connedtions first. From the rear ABS sensor and up to the ECU.   
2000 F650-GS

drumahoe

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
I have just returned from a 3 mile run to store.  As usual ABS light blinking at me but this time Servo pump is running all the time. Front I think.  I am now getting error 25149: Internal control module error - RAM error in control processor.  Has anyone come across this before.