Author Topic: Lamba and Closed Loop Control  (Read 10221 times)

Grizzly

Lamba and Closed Loop Control
« on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:59 AM »
Hi, My 2001 1150GS is running sweet and fuel consumption is about the same, but idle has probably not been as smooth as it used to be.
I hooked up my recently purchased GS-911 and no fault logged - which is good news, however, when monitoring lamba voltage it is "flat-lining" and in the realtime data list the Lamba closed loop control is shown as OFF - this is true with engine cool and also when fully warmed up with a road run and engine temp showing 90 degrees.
Any suggestions - is lamba likely to be ok but system not switching into "closed loop control" - why?

Cheers...................Grizzly
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:18:03 PM by Grizzly »

Ghiribizzo

Re: Lamba and Closed Loop Control
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:13:17 AM »
Two things - idle. Have the throttle bodies been balanced decently? Re. idle issues.

Re. Lambda - is it using an original exhaust system? Aftermarket? And this may sound lame, but does the bike currently have a lambda sensor on the exhaust?
Loud tyres save lives...

webberle

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:25:47 AM »
On my R1100S lambda closed loop does kick in when the engine reaches abaout 70° Celsius...even during idle...

Grizzly

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
Hi, thanks for replies,
Bike is running a cat with lambda fitted.
 I also posted this on UKGSER so rather than repeat everything again here is a link:-
www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?367860-Lamba-and-Closed-Loop-Control.
Following info from there I did manage to get it into closed loop around 2500 rpm on steady throttle and once there lambda looks to be working perfectly
I think part of my problem was I now had a GS-911 and had loads of info at my fingertips - but,as we know, loads of info is no use unless you know how to interpret it and at that point I didn't have a clear understanding how open/close loop was meant to work! I found a interesting web-site which helped clear things up for me - here's a link just in case it's of interest to others:-
www.bikeboy.org/open_closed_loop_efi.html
I changed the LH throttle body today and did a full TPS and balance set-up and running very nicely!

Cheers......................Grizzly

Ghiribizzo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:12:01 AM »
Good stuff. See you at Johnshaven... :-D
Loud tyres save lives...

Grizzly

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:53:10 AM »
Ah - Johnshaven, yes, I'd forgot we met there! Do you know when it is this year?
 There, I've managed to hi-jack my own thread ;D

Cheers........................Grizzly

Ghiribizzo

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:36:50 AM »
No!
Loud tyres save lives...